i keep having issues with others scoresheets

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Jon Mahony

Re: i keep having issues with others scoresheets

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:15 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:33 pm
he would ask for well timed score sheet checks, during one of my big thinks at critical points in the game,
Are you not allowed to ask him to do this when it's his clock running?
I am, but I wouldn't. I don't think I've ever asked for a score sheet check if I'm honest, but if I noticed I had made an error in my opponents' time I would wait until they had moved and then ask in my time.

The rules may state the behaviour is fine, but with certain people you can see the intent is to distract.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:40 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:33 pm
he would ask for well timed score sheet checks, during one of my big thinks at critical points in the game,
Are you not allowed to ask him to do this when it's his clock running?

If you are playing without a time control at a fixed move number, there's no immediate importance to the opponent that the score should be correct unless it's needed to validate a threefold reprtition or fifty move count.
Roger thats what I thought and i thought i remembered the rules stating that you had to continue your sheet if it wasnt up to date from the point you realise, just getting the move number correct, and immediately after the game finished go through it with the opponents sheet correcting the missing moves. That makes sense as a rule, what alex says bout the current rule doesnt make any sense in my opinion, and is a rule made up by arbiters who arent putting themselves in the position of players.

When i stated the rule to a certain player who shall remain annonimous in a lancashire vs cumbria u150 county match a few years ago, he made a scene.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:51 am

The rules are not made up by arbiters, they are made up by the FIDE Rules Commission.

https://www.fide.com/directory/commissions

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:54 am

I have in the past been guilty of asking for a score sheet myself which may seem completely hypocritical, but I hasten to add i did not do it for psychological reasons and only because i wanted a perfect scoresheet. I would not do so again having been the victim since. I did it without thinking, sometimes we act without due reverence to the others point of view- I can remember one such person I did it to was Jonathan Blackburn senior and i appologise to him now and unreservedly.