Tournament questions.
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 am
I recently took part in the Hastings weekend tournament and this was the first such large event I've played in.
It was very interesting and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to answer these questions.
1) Recording of the moves.
I realise that you have to record each move, but what should you do if you notice that your opponent has fallen behind in his recording (and there is more than 5 mins left of the clock). Is he obliged to correct his scoresheet ? Is he allowed to just put dashes to indicate that moves took place. I saw a few players doing this in order to catch up.
2) Unreadable scoresheets.
If a players recorded moves are clearly unintelligible, does this prevent him from making certain claims (such as repetition of moves) ? Can't the player rely on your scoresheet to make such a claim ?
3) Gamesmanship.
I felt one player was involved in what I considered to be deliberate gamesmanship. His antics included the following
a) Continually uttering his thoughts about the game under his breath - albeit loud enough to attract the attention of other close players.
b) Getting out a book during his opponents move and doing sums in it, wording the calculations on his lips silently.
c) Making light jokes about the position on the board refering to it's complexity or certain peculiarities.
What is considered a disturbance OTB ? How many of these minor borderline disturbances are appropriate before calling the arbiter ? If you are playing next to such a player and it continually disturbs your concentration, but the opponent of the player in question is too polite to make a complaint, what should you do ?
It was very interesting and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to answer these questions.
1) Recording of the moves.
I realise that you have to record each move, but what should you do if you notice that your opponent has fallen behind in his recording (and there is more than 5 mins left of the clock). Is he obliged to correct his scoresheet ? Is he allowed to just put dashes to indicate that moves took place. I saw a few players doing this in order to catch up.
2) Unreadable scoresheets.
If a players recorded moves are clearly unintelligible, does this prevent him from making certain claims (such as repetition of moves) ? Can't the player rely on your scoresheet to make such a claim ?
3) Gamesmanship.
I felt one player was involved in what I considered to be deliberate gamesmanship. His antics included the following
a) Continually uttering his thoughts about the game under his breath - albeit loud enough to attract the attention of other close players.
b) Getting out a book during his opponents move and doing sums in it, wording the calculations on his lips silently.
c) Making light jokes about the position on the board refering to it's complexity or certain peculiarities.
What is considered a disturbance OTB ? How many of these minor borderline disturbances are appropriate before calling the arbiter ? If you are playing next to such a player and it continually disturbs your concentration, but the opponent of the player in question is too polite to make a complaint, what should you do ?