Page 1 of 1

Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am
by John Upham
1 e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c4 appears to have become flavour of the month in CK circles.

Has there been discussion of this in the literature?

I've seen brief mention in "Play the Caro-Kann", Houska
"Caro-Kann Defence : Advance Variation and Gambit System" by Podgaets.

Thanks!

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:54 pm
by Keith Arkell
It's a nuisance for us 3..c5 advocates,although I did see Ivanka win a nice game against it a few months back.

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 pm
by Ben Purton
I play the Panov V the caro most of the time!. Keith plays g6 line V it, which you have to know with white to get any sort of edge. Otherwise you give up the d5 pawn for nothing and end up in IQP and little comp.

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm
by John Upham
Ben,

Do you play the double rook and pawn ending after 6. Sf3 Lg4 etc? Has the jury agreed that the ending is drawn yet?

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 am
by Ben Purton
English annotations please. Well 90% of my FIDE games im happy with a draw.

Ben

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am
by Gavin Strachan
This particular line is like an accelarated variation version I have faced when people play the Short variation. I personally feel that DxC is a route and it can give the option of the f knight hitting going to f5 or d5. I am no GM, but play the Caro quite a bit. The pieces feel like they get tangled up a little and the knight coming to e7 leaves the c pawn. If white plays f4 then nh6 is good. It is a fun variation.