errors in simple positions

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Mats Winther

errors in simple positions

Post by Mats Winther » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I played this game on FICS. I was so certain that the endgame was won so I didn't pay attention. It is so typical. I really didn't know that knight + rook pawn is a draw in the position after move 56, although it is obvious, since the knight cannot gain tempo. /Mats

Geoff Chandler

Re: errors in simple positions

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 am

Hi Mats.

" I really didn't know that knight + rook pawn is a draw in the position after move 56"

In the 1980 Edinburgh Open in the last round on 4/5 I played Mark Orr.
I merrily went into a KN and Rook pawn v lone King (me) ending thinking it always drew!
The White Rook's pawn was on a5 and I happily settled on a8. I soon go kicked out of the way and the pawn sailed home.
I thought I had somehow managed to blow a drawn ending.
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 am

Geoff Chandler wrote: I merrily went into a KN and Rook pawn v lone King (me) ending thinking it always drew!
I've assumed it was always lost and resigned in two games once I'd reached it. I was puzzled why an IM played on when for once I had the material, but it appears there is the odd pitfall.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 am

In my 2nd game in my first ever tournament (Germany, 1972) I had King, Bishop and the wrong Rook's pawn v a bare King.
I tried to win it. :oops:

The opening from that game was quite interesting. (I was Black)

The game has gone, I never kept a correct score in any of the games.
I only have the score of the first game (corrected after the game) because it was an 8 move win. (an opening trap.)
I have one of these orange CHESS score books from that period full of games,
20 odd of which that I cannot make any sense of because I screwed up the notation.

Years later you will be hearing me howl from the rooftops when I'm entering games
in DB's calling players complete idiots because they cannot keep a correct score. :?