Those annoying less common openings.

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Gavin Strachan

Re: Those annoying less common openings.

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 pm

you could try the Kings Indian Attack which is essentially just a series of moves that can be played against most openings. Depends on what you like! If you are not particularly aggressive then gambit lines may not be your bag else go mad. Petroff and Alekhine openings are not particularly mad and fairly drawish in nature (esp Petroff).

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Michele,
Against the Scandinavian, I would suggest on first principles you should take the pawn (it is not good to get your queen out too early!). If you to carry on with trying to exploit this opening faux pas then the following line should be interesting

1. e4 d5 2. ed Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qa5 4. b4 Qxb4 5. Rb1

Against the Alekhine then I think you should try to avoid main lines - most Alekhine players know their theory. An interesting line is

1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. Nc3 Nxc3 (not the only move, but probably most common)
4. bxc3 d6 5. f4

White has more space and can play some natural moves. It will take a good Black player to exploit your White square weaknesses

Against the Petroff you have many choices, but
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. Nc3
is quite topical, should be fairly easy to get to grips with and there aren't many pitfalls.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I've had good records against the Scandinavian with 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nf3 - leaving the option of whether to kick the queen with c4 or Nc3.