Page 1 of 1

The Sicilian Defence in 1897

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:44 pm
by John Upham
During a recent visit to Southsea I purchased for £1 "Chess Openings" by James Mason.

Page 88 contains as assessment of the then worthiness of the Sicilian Defence :
Fairly tried and found wanting, the Sicilian has now scarcely any standing as a first-class defence. In this respect its fate much resembles that of the Philidor; though, of the two, the advantage is greatly with the latter. The Sicilian is too defensive. There are too many holes created in the Pawn line. Command of the field, especially in the centre, it too readily given over to the invading force.
Has anything changed since this assessment? :lol:

Re: The Sicillian Defence in 1897

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 am
by John Saunders
No, the assessment remains exactly the same as in 1897 - it's completely unsound. But the spelling has been changed. Just the one 'l' these days... [n.b. since I made this comment, I note that the original poster has amended the thread's spelling from 'Sicillian' to 'Sicilian'...]

Re: The Sicilian Defence in 1897

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:05 pm
by James Pratt
uninterestingly enough, the spelling of Giuoco Piano has changed too, according to an Italian chessplayer I used to know. Not sure how ..