Jon Mahony wrote:I think I’ve only seen one or two games where Bob actually played it.
I have the following games:
[Event "EU-chT Seniors 5th"]
[Site "Dresden"]
[Date "2003.02.23"]
[Round "1.3"]
[White "Neumann, Horst"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Event "Wch Seniors"]
[Site "Bad Woerishofen"]
[Date "1991.??.??"]
[Round "9"]
[White "Drechsler, Hans"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Event "Tallinn"]
[Site "Tallinn"]
[Date "1971.02.27"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Smejkal, Jan"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Event "Birseck"]
[Site "Birseck"]
[Date "1971.??.??"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Tatai, Stefano"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Event "Hastings 7273"]
[Site "Hastings"]
[Date "1972.??.??"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Barcza, Gedeon"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[Event "Hastings 7273"]
[Site "Hastings"]
[Date "1972.??.??"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Smyslov, Vassily"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Event "Capablanca mem-B"]
[Site "Cienfuegos"]
[Date "1975.??.??"]
[Round "11"]
[White "Fraguela Gil, Jose Miguel"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[Event "Wch Seniors"]
[Site "Bad Woerishofen"]
[Date "1992.??.??"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Taimanov, Mark E"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Event "Wch Seniors"]
[Site "Bad Woerishofen"]
[Date "1992.??.??"]
[Round "7"]
[White "Fluegel, Wilhelm"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Event "Wch Seniors 5th"]
[Site "Bad Liebenzell"]
[Date "1995.11.13"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Schueller, Paul"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Event "Wch Seniors 5th"]
[Site "Bad Liebenzell"]
[Date "1995.11.15"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Taimanov, Mark E"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Event "BCF-chT 9899 (4NCL)"]
[Site "England"]
[Date "1998.11.22"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Pritchett, Craig William"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[Event "04sen. EMM Europa"]
[Site "Dresden (25.02.-02.03)"]
[Date "2002.03.02"]
[Round "7.3"]
[White "Landgraf, Siegfried"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[Event "Athenaeum Summer Tournament"]
[Site "London"]
[Date "2004.09.01"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Van der Griendt, Jan Willem"]
[Black "Wade, Robert Graham"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
In addition to which Bob played this line many times in evening matches. What he told me was that he would play this opening if he thought his opponent had little knowledge of it. I presume this only applied to games against amateurs, although I did not clarify this point with him.
Switching openings: Bob was pleased that he never lost a serious game in which he chose Breyer's Defence in the Closed Lopez. It was rather brave of him to put this record at risk when he played Murray Chandler in New Zealand. I hasten to add that I have never verified this assertion of Bob's.