Page 1 of 1

Helpmate Problem.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:05 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
This is a problem I saw a while back in an old issue of "CHESS" (circa 1950)

White: Kh8, Bh7, Pe2&e5;

Black: Ka2, Rh2, Bb8, Pf6&b3.

Stipulation is - White to play and force Black to mate in 5 moves, Black making the longest possible move each time.

The most obvious is something like 1e3 Rb2, 2Bc2 Bxe5 - but then..........what??

I have been trying to solve this for ages now (there was no solution I could see mentioned in subsequent issues) and it is driving me a bit nutty! :shock: Any idea, anyone? :D

Re: Helpmate Problem.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
It looks as if the final move is going to be 5...Bxe5 mate, but it's going to be interesting making that the longest move. I mean, it's trivial to make it the bishop's longest possible move, but the rook's... You're probably going to have to force the rook to block a bishop check.

Re: Helpmate Problem.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:53 pm
by Neill Cooper
1 e4 Rb2
2 exf6 Bh2
3 e5 Rg2
4 f7 Rg8+
5 fxg8 =B Bxe5#

Re: Helpmate Problem.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:01 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Excellent Neill! Hadn't expected a solution that quickly - seen it before?

(I had vague ideas of pushing the e5 pawn forward and under-promoting, just couldn't see how :) )

Re: Helpmate Problem.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 pm
by Neill Cooper
Matt Mackenzie wrote:Excellent Neill! Hadn't expected a solution that quickly - seen it before?
It was new to me but I like helpmates and the mathematical part (longest move) appealed.