Annotated Chess Games

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
soheil_hooshdaran

Annotated Chess Games

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun May 08, 2016 6:54 am

Hi.
Is there any w2ebsite where I can find recent games with analysis?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Annotated Chess Games

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 08, 2016 8:29 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: Is there any w2ebsite where I can find recent games with analysis?
The chessbase site regularly has reports giving games with annotations.

For example
http://en.chessbase.com/post/carlsen-wins-norway-chess

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon May 09, 2016 7:01 am

But I cannot verify which annotations I am free to use....

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 09, 2016 8:10 am

"But I cannot verify which annotations I am free to use...."

Assume none of them.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"But I cannot verify which annotations I am free to use...."

Assume none of them.
Shame no-one told this to Ray Keene.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue May 17, 2016 6:30 am

You have to be very careful and loo into it others before you buy. What type of book are you looking for? Chess theory or to improve your game. Some are much better than other, Generally speaking it better to avoid on line analysis, which is often rushed, a buy piece of work that has great care put into. I'll never forget the time I was in the London chess centre when it was on euston road and you had beating the Sicilian dragon next how to win with the scilian dragon, and many many diagram were similar.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 pm

MJMcCready wrote:I was in the London chess centre when it was on euston road and you had beating the Sicilian dragon next how to win with the scilian dragon, and many many diagram were similar.

Ray Keene once co-authored a book on the English Defence (... e6, ... b6 against d4 and c4 from White) which featured analysis of a game Polugaevsky - Korchnoi from their 1977 Candidates match which reached the position after

1 d4 e6, 2 c4 b6, 3 e4 Bb7 4 Qc2

This game crops up in a load of Ray’s publications. His book on the 1978 World Championship match for instance. He also includes it in his Opening Repertoire for White which was published in the mid-80s or thereabouts. He recommends 4 Qc2 for White and much of the analysis is taken directly from his book on the English Defence. Except for the line of analysis which shows Black’s best defence and demonstrates 4 Qc2 is harmless. He left that out the second time around.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 18, 2016 4:57 am

Chess literature is literted with such things, 'Being the French' and 'Winning with the French' many positions will appear in both, both advantageous for white and black respectively.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 18, 2016 5:19 am

One day soon we may well see 'Drawing with the Berlin Defense', and 'losing to the Berlin Defence', and 'Winning with Berlin Defense'.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Will we ever see, Winning with the Irish Gambit?

I must say I liked D.r John Nunn's 'Secrets of pawnless endgames' very much but was rather disappointed with the follow up 'Secrets of pawnless openings'.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Chess literature is literted with such things, 'Being the French' and 'Winning with the French' many positions will appear in both, both advantageous for white and black respectively.
Yes, but it’s rare - in fact off the top of my head I can’tt think of another example - that an author blatantly and deliberately leaves out a key line from his earlier writings.
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Wed May 18, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed May 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes, we now get buzzwords like 'Secrets of...' I don't think chess literature has much, on the whole to be proud of. I've always thought books on openings were the worst. There are many good ones don't get me wrong but the number of poor-to average is staggering.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:Chess literature is literted with such things, 'Being the French' and 'Winning with the French' many positions will appear in both, both advantageous for white and black respectively.
Yes, but it’s rare - in fact off the top of my head I can’tt think of another example - that an author blatantly and deliberately leaves out a key line from his earlier writings.
In the mid 90s there was a position in the Sicilian Dragon evaluated as good for white in one book and good for black in another. I certainly don't remember the publications but one of them was well-known. It wasn't a case of new-theory replacing old theory, they came out around the same time. One of them had a white cover, that's all I can remember. I never played it, a friend pointed it out in the London Chess Center when it was very close to Euston and had that nice downstairs bit.