Book-The Chess Scene

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Book-The Chess Scene

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Of course, but I guess in practice most people pick up the queen (usually), put it on the 8th, and pick up the pawn as they do so. You might pick up the pawn, any piece you are capturing and dump them by the side of the board, and then put the queen down (using the same hand of course).

I think of it as like an American football "touchdown", where you don't actually do what it says, unlike the rugby "try", where you do touch it down!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi Jacques,

Unless they (the people who tamper with things to justify their existence) have changed the rules again
you do not put a pawn on the 8th. You put on the 8th square the piece you are promoting too the move is
not complete till the promoted is placed on the board and the hand removed.

(actually I'm wrong. It is a technical point. the rule said: '1. the pawn does not have to be placed on the square of arrival,')

If you put an upside down Rook on the board instead of a Queen....Your opponent can claim it is a Rook.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Yes, the Laws now permit the method you propose. Did they ever say it was mandatory? As I recall, it is the method demonstrated by Tony in his video that used to be mandatory.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Jaques,

I'm sure I read somewhere...possibly here. That you must not put the pawn on the 8th.
(rarely do endings, trying to recall the last time I promoted a pawn OTB...actually I can't.)

Nearly had one 3 years ago G.C V D.Russell, Edin League 2016

Here I wanted Black to play 19...dxc3

But Black played 19....Rxg6. (i won with 20.Rxf6)