Book-The Chess Scene

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Book-The Chess Scene

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:25 pm

Er, the "your right" was not said by me, it was a quote. After many years of drafting rules/laws, I try to avoid things like that!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:01 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:25 pm
Er, the "your right" was not said by me, it was a quote. After many years of drafting rules/laws, I try to avoid things like that!
Wasn't that precisely David's point?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm

No idea - I was just clarifying that I did not say it. I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm
No idea - I was just clarifying that I did not say it. I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition.

Kevin, Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8n4MfhjUc
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:50 am

Alan Ruffle wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:33 am
Dear Mr. MJMcCready
Thank you for your response which is spot on. Your right but I like the idea of being an author and I like the practical feel of a book. Having received feedback, I am not writing “The Chess Scene TWO.” I am updating and Improving “The Chess Scene.”
The most notable change is that the priorities of the book are now with supportive parent’s rather than coaching for players seeking to move into the lower regions of tournament play.
The below is the dawning.
Further information for interested and supportive parents.
(Might be of interest to novice arbiters, tournament organizers and coaches.)
I was taken by surprise When a parent from “Stafford library junior chess club.” Informed me that he had entered his child into the minor section of the “Birmingham and District Chess League” Rapid play tournament.
At Stafford library junior chess club. 1100-1200 on a Saturday Morning. He was used to delivering his son to the “club.” and then taking a back seat while I scurried around supervising play and pairing his child with other young players.
The atmosphere at the club was competitive and friendly. There was a hub bub of noise that you would expect from a group of very young chess players all excitedly advising each other about their games. All of them. All at the same time.
The child in question. Was at the time one of the stronger players in the club. He won most of his games at the junior chess club and has now moved on to “Stafford Chess Club.”
The Parent had not realized that the “Birmingham and District Chess League.” Rapid play tournament. Was an adult competition and that all the rounds lasted a maximum of one hour with half of one hour between games, to allow pairings for the next round to take place. A total commitment of eight and a half hours.
I discussed this with him realizing that he had no experience on this subject.
After some thought moved on to give some more practical advice.
I suggested to the parent.
If you have a collapsible comfortable camping chair. Take it.
If you have a flask, fill it with hot water, a cup, and a tea bag. Take them
If you have other tea making facilities. Take them.
If you have a good book. Take it.
If you are an experienced camper. Take a tent-A tent. In fine weather. On a grassed area. For the seasoned camper this is heaven.
I realised that my book “The Chess Scene.” Was not as comprehensive as I thought!
It's sounds like you enjoy writing so much you can't fit it all in, something of a dilemma many of are caught up by. It's nice to have a publication under your belt, well kinda but such things will one day become a thing of the past and probably within the next twenty years or so.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:03 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm
Kevin, sorry if I have caused confusion. As Nick said, I had intended my post to indicate that I was not attributing the grammatical error to you.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:24 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm
Kevin, Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8n4MfhjUc
I wasn't expecting this in the list of other videos YouTube thought I might like to watch, but it was interesting.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:06 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:50 am
but such things will one day become a thing of the past and probably within the next twenty years or so
I rather doubt this personally.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)