Sniper Chess Opening Created by ECF's F.M. Charlie Storey

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Alex McFarlane

Re: Sniper Chess Opening Created by ECF's F.M. Charlie Store

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Fortunately, I am not in a position to give ECF approval for such an activity.

I can state that I would have severe reservations about such an activity being available with juniors present without parents having been advised prior to entry.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:58 pm

I think you can have a "put your money where your mouth is" bet, and you do not need a licence.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm

I don't think it will matter if it's legal or not, those odds are the least attractive I've ever seen (as Simon points out) - I doubt anyone will be interested.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

I doubt anyone will be interested.
I am sure if there was any interest in this type of betting, Ladbrooks would be onto it. Most High Street bookies will consider one off bets on any type of event if you ask them.

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 am

Okay there is not enough Positive interest so lets drop it and get back To Sniper Theory.

Let's just let all the other Sports fuel their advertising with the Gambling Stream and integrate it in to 'Sky' and we can remain squeaky clean with the Higher Moral Ground.

I just thought the ECF would get millions more hits on their site and wider interest from Non Players and attract better sponsors with the figures for future events.

This 'High Moral Ground Strategy' will attract fewer people with this 'advertising stream' not in position but we will be left with a higher quality of personage within The Chess Kingdom.

The ECF should embrace my proposals - they are normally brilliant and work!

While I'm on my High Horse I believe Arbiters are paid way too much at these events and it is a major waste of ECF resources - many would do it voluntarily from 'Locals from the hosting Federation' of the events or at far more reduced rates - The savings could be pumped in to Analysis Room Coaching and giving Kids direct benefits. Arbiting is a simple task with a very low level of administration skill required - easily performed by Local Players - saving the £700 Hotel + Food Fees which should go to Players and Kids Coaching.

This is an obvious and correct step for Junior Chess in England.

There may be Power Players that wish to protect their own interests- but I say get rid of any self interests in the organisation and make it better and stronger for the benefit of chess.

I would like to Know what the bill is going to be for these Arbiters for this Championship -as an ECF member I think we have a right to know.

Any Arbiters care to share their thoughts. Please Download The Sniper 2012 DVD first from http://www.charliechess.com/Download.html

Perhaps I am wrong?
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am

Let's just let all the other Sports fuel their advertising with the Gambling Stream and integrate it in to 'Sky' and we can remain squeaky clean with the Higher Moral Ground.
We have had betting in the past on world chess championships, if chess is to become more high profile, we need to run a world chess championship event every year, like other sports. You could ask what the ECF is doing to attract sponsors in this respect, are they even looking for sponsorship.

http://www.worldchesschampionship.com/c ... /index.php

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am

Charlie - you are wrong!!!

If I were to do the British for minimum wage say £6/hr then the basic wage would be over £1000. After National Insurance etc we would be talking circa £1200.

Most events I do actually cost me money. That is my choice.

When I spoke with Ignatius Leong at the Candidates matches he was very dismissive of the idea of arbiters and trainers working for nothing or a pitance. His arguement was that when you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

There is a lack of young arbiters and (especially) organisers coming through. The culture of volunteering is diminishing. Perhaps to ensure the future of chess we should be considering a more professional structure.

Singapore hired to coaches amidst much nashing of teeth and complaints. The Singapore Chess Association now employs 20 coaches. Once the idea of paying more was accepted and people started to see benefits the idea took off.

Something to think about.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 am

Charlie Storey wrote:While I'm on my High Horse I believe Arbiters are paid way too much at these events and it is a major waste of ECF resources - many would do it voluntarily from 'Locals from the hosting Federation' of the events or at far more reduced rates - The savings could be pumped in to Analysis Room Coaching and giving Kids direct benefits. Arbiting is a simple task with a very low level of administration skill required - easily performed by Local Players - saving the £700 Hotel + Food Fees which should go to Players and Kids Coaching.
I don't know how much arbiters get paid at the British as I've never been invited to the help out at the event :D but I think Stewart Reuben has previously stated that they get nothing apart from expenses. If that's true, then it's difficult to imagine someone doing it for less than that.

The total cost is contained within the ECF accounts which are downloadable from the ECF website.

I'm not sure that I understand the logic of not paying one group of people (arbiters) in order to pay another group (coaches / players). I do think it's reasonable to consider whether the number of arbiters employed is appropriate though.

I'm told by arbiters at e2e4 events that we are amongst the most geneous payers, although we have fewer arbiters than most other events. I'm told by players that we are amongst the best run events. Coincidence?

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 am

Alex - Please do not confuse Coaching with Arbiting - let's be Clear.

Chess Coaches work extremely hard on their game with intense dedication and on their students games, that requires an immense amount of technical Knowledge and experience (At least the good ones do.)

Arbiters (Converted from 120 - 220 ECF) could take a 1 hour DVD Course and have all the required knowledge I'm afraid.

1 x excellent arbiter (Paid for the 2 weeks duration and based in the Hosting County) is all that is required and her role should include pre organising free arbiters from hosting and surrounding Counties (with reserves) for all events throughout the Championship.

I shudder to think how much has been wasted in the past on the current formula and wonder if that apathetic approach is prevalent in other areas?

My proposal should be put to the vote at the next ECF AGM.

If I get a Positive response I'l use my ridiculously high IQ to solve more problems and save the ECF even more money.

Thanks to all those that have bought The Sniper Book and Sniper DVD's it has turned it in to a global phenomenon!

As for free arbiters being monkeys I know of 2 that are far stronger as players and far better than you (In my opinion) and your one of the top paid / inflated expenses arbiters.

This may sound a bit harsh to those arbiters that do a sterling job - but in this era of cutbacks and titled players not being able to participate, we have to start cutting the 'fat' somewhere and this seems the appropriate place to start due to not being given conditions and in some instances having to pay!

Not that I'm saying your bad as an arbiter but I think your best suited to that of being a paid organiser (In my opinion.)

I certainly believe the Championships will have minimal organisational disparity with voluntary arbiters / admin and as its a chance of a lifetime for most Hosting Counties players to help; it's as a Meeah Cat would say....Simples to organise!

My comments are meant for the betterment of UK Chess, my apologies if anyone gets caught in Sniper crossfire, but we all know I'm right - just that I have the balls to highlight it.

Best Wishes

The Sniper Chief. http://www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am

Sean Hewitt wrote: I do think it's reasonable to consider whether the number of arbiters employed is appropriate though.
At Canterbury (and repeated at Sheffield) there weren't as many arbiters as in previous years. I don't think they do themselves any favours in terms of workload in either the number of events run, or the continued desire to do manual pairings. For afternoon events, except the Seniors, they have switched to increment timings. So no 10.2s to worry about. Just the other problem of late finishes when a GM decides to use all fifty moves since a pawn move or capture looking for victory.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:There is a lack of young arbiters and (especially) organisers coming through. The culture of volunteering is diminishing. Perhaps to ensure the future of chess we should be considering a more professional structure.
Things are improving. The ECF has a 14-year old arbiter, and I'm trying to become one. :wink:

Myself and Sabrina are both under 30, and organise tournaments of various stature across the country.

Of the 4NCL inputters, apart from the Northern games yourself and Lara did, Jack is the eldest of all 5 of us, and he's only just over 30.

I don't think we have a shortage of young volunteers (arbiters/organisers) more than we have a lack of young players carrying on past the age of 18. I think the two are very much related.

A shortage of younger arbiters and organisers means that the game will forever remain old-fashioned, as organisers will tend to do things the same way. I would organise tournaments differently from someone who is older than me. Our fascination with 7-hour sessions for FIDE-rated chess is a typical example of this.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am

Charlie Storey wrote:Arbiters (Converted from 120 - 220 ECF) could take a 1 hour DVD Course and have all the required knowledge I'm afraid.
Poppycock. I've been "training" as an arbiter now for about 8 months, and I still don't consider myself to "have all the required knowledge". It's not because I don't know the rules; I reckon I know those without problems. Arbiting is more than knowing the rules though. It requires a lot of common sense, thinking on your feet, and general administration that can take years to get right.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 am

Alex H - I didn't say there were none, just not many. But if you want a bit of a history lesson ...

When I was about your age there were literally dozens of organisers/arbiters under 30. Now that is the exception rather than the norm. Take away all arbiters and organisers over the age of 50 and you will have very few people left. This is an unhealthy state of affairs and needs attention paid to it.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 am

I do like the way in which Charlie Storey has managed to derail his own thread twice - particularly after starting the thread with:
Firstly, may I say if you are not interested in The Sniper please move on to a different post.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:48 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:Alex H - I didn't say there were none, just not many. But if you want a bit of a history lesson ...

When I was about your age there were literally dozens of organisers/arbiters under 30. Now that is the exception rather than the norm. Take away all arbiters and organisers over the age of 50 and you will have very few people left. This is an unhealthy state of affairs and needs attention paid to it.
I completely agree.