GingerGM 24hr sale

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Paul Cooksey

GingerGM 24hr sale

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:48 pm

My only connection is as a customer. I was thinking of getting the Sokolov one anyway. But in case anyone else interested:
@GingerGM wrote:Massive sale on the GingerGM DVD bundle for the next 24 hours. Over 100 hours of tuition for £44! http://www.gingergm.com/shop/the-ginger-gm-collection
GingerGM Collection
  • Killer d4 (GM Simon Williams)
    NEW! Secrets of Positional Sacrifices (GM Ivan Sokolov)
    Crash Test Chess 1 (GM Simon Williams)
    Crash Test Chess 2 (GM Simon Williams)
    Killer Dragon (GM Simon Williams)
    Killer Grand Prix (GM Gawain Jones)
    Killer Endgames (GM Nick Pert)
    Plaskett’s Greatest Hits (GM James Plaskett)
    Sokolov Explains (GM Ivan Sokolov)
    Killer Dutch (GM Simon Williams)
    Killer French (GM Simon Williams)
    Killer c3 Sicilian (IM Sam Collins)
    Improve Your Practical Play (GM Danny Gormally)

Joshua Gibbs

Re: GingerGM 24hr sale

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 am

I have downloaded one of the above DVDs and it is very good value for money.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:11 am

Yep - I got the full set too ... they even give you updates on new stuff when it comes out.

Why not support Simion and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs

Paul

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:28 am

Paul Dargan wrote:
Why not support Simion and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs

Paul
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.

M

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:07 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Paul Dargan wrote: Why not support Simon and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs

Paul
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.

M
The biggest load of nonsense I have heard in quite some time.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:44 am

Cards on the table I have easy access to pirate copies of these if I want it (I won't mention specific sites - but it's not hard if you try) - I know that Simon Williams and Simon Ansell do what they can to get them taken down from torrent file-sharing sites when they know about it ... but there's just so many, and mainly in dubious juristictions. I did here that some 'customer' of theirs had put Simon's recent d4 repertoire online within a day or two of it being released ...

I can only say that the quality of the DVD's that I have seen is excellent - obviously some of the specific opening material will be a little dated in the megapack - but the Sokolov material, attack like Tal, etc... will all have longevity, the d4 stuff is recent, and theory in the c3 sicilian is somewhat slower to devevelop.

Personal choice obviously - but seemed liek a well-spent £40 to me. YMMV.

Paul

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:

M
Do you think statements such as the above enhance or degrade your reputation? :x
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Clearly someone called 'M' has hijacked Joshua's account. He would never say anything as silly as that.

How does anyone find 100 hours to spend watching the DVDs? Or to put that another way, how long does it take those who have the DVDs to work their way through them (presuming they do work through them properly)?

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Paul Dargan wrote: Why not support Simon and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs

Paul

M
The biggest load of nonsense I have heard in quite some time.
To be honest i think it true with people my age!

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:49 pm

John Upham wrote:
Do you think statements such as the above enhance or degrade your reputation? :x

I think it shows my job as a market trader both here and in Istanbul has alerted me to counterfeiting and fencing methods.

I also think the general public are very very naive about how much authors earn!

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:08 pm

I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)

I asked generally how much was his annual income was from his endeavours and he said around $150,000 a year

Even from this salary would make him nowhere near a millionaire

Deriving from this I would say the income from writing books themselves wouldn't make them millionaires

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Alan Walton wrote:I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)

I asked generally how much was his annual income was from his endeavours and he said around $150,000 a year

Deriving from this I would say the income from writing books themselves wouldn't make them millionaires
But many people on the street would think they would be in my opinion....

is he top 100 in the world or the UK?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:

Stereotyping is often dangerous especially when you tar particular groups with your own unfortunate brush.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)

But many people on the street would think they would be in my opinion....

is he top 100 in the world or the UK?
In the world

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:44 pm

John Upham wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote:

Stereotyping is often dangerous especially when you tar particular groups with your own unfortunate brush.
I dont download pirates myself, we wouldn't have many great films if pirating was around then they were made
Last edited by Joshua Gibbs on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.