New Players Wanted

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
PeterFarr

New Players Wanted

Post by PeterFarr » Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm

A couple of new players are wanted for The Argumentatives; we are a long established pub-based team playing in the Mid Sussex League (which actually covers pretty much all but the South West corner of the County).

We play at a country pub in Staplefield, near Crawley. We have around 7-10 matches a year in the MSL league / Knock-out tournaments. We don't have a regular club night outside matches, but we have the occasional social meet. You don't have to be a drinker, but it helps if you like your chess in a sociable pub atmosphere. Our playing standard currently ranges from about 190 grade to 100, but basically players of any strength are welcome.

Message to me if interested. Thanks!

Clive Thompson

Re: New Players Wanted

Post by Clive Thompson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi, I am looking to make a comeback to Chess, having not played seriously for about 20 years !
I am well familiar with the Args and have played against you (for Crawley III) at the Brewery Shades and at the Apple Tree (yes, that's how long ago)
I like the Jolly Tanners (used to play Bar Billiards for the Victory for eight years back in the 1980s)
I won't have a chess grade of course, but at the time I stopped playing was rated 135.
Let me know if you are interested, and when you are next having a meet-up, I will come along and introduce myself.
Wednesdays the only bad night for me as I still play bar billiards in Mid Sussex !

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 am

Clive,
I'm sure Peter Farr will respond to your message and make it clear that you would be very welcome to join the Args, although their club night for home matches has traditionally been Wednesday. However, the Args have only existed as a team that plays in the Mid Sussex League and not as a club with internal competitions. If you were interested in playing on a more regular basis may I suggest that consider also joining Horsham (my club, so bias declared!) IN ADDITION to the Args. This would be in keeping with other cases where someone has represented the Args in the Mid Sussex League, but also belonged to another club (generally Horsham) where they can also play regular internal games. Our club website is at http://www.horshamchessclub.org.uk/ . We close down for a couple of months over the summer, but will be reconvening for our AGM on Tuesday 4th September.

Sadly, the Crawley club that you used to play for folded some years ago.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 am

Clive, I'll send you a private message. I would also endorse Julie's comments.

Clive Thompson

Post by Clive Thompson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Thanks both for your rapid responses. Have replied to Peter via PM.
Julie, thanks for the intelligence imparted. I have had passing acquaintance with Horsham over the years (the club's base was the Methodist Hall) and it's a strong club.
Quite honestly, the laid back, casual attitude of the Args will probably suit me best at this stage. Yes it was a shock when Crawley folded as we used to have three teams and our first team had Gary Kenworthy who had Master status.
Best wishes, Clive