World Teams 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Ihor Lewyk wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am
This result should be on the TV evening national news. Who's the ECF publicity director again?
Tim Wall issued a press release yesterday afternoon. The text can be found at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/england ... pionships/.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17822
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am


User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am
Ihor Lewyk wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am
This result should be on the TV evening national news. Who's the ECF publicity director again?
Tim Wall issued a press release yesterday afternoon. The text can be found at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/england ... pionships/.
Oh, it had somehow escaped me that he had that role.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7217
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Has Speelman been a member of all the England medal-winning teams in the modern era (maybe ever)? He certainly has a lot of medals!

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm
Has Speelman been a member of all the England medal-winning teams in the modern era (maybe ever)? He certainly has a lot of medals!
England's Olympiad statistics are here. An England team without Speelman has finished in the top three twice, in 1927 and 1976.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm

With the caveat that 1927 is strictly speaking Great Britain
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andy Stoker
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Andy Stoker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am
There's a team picture at

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-tea ... 19-round-9
In my ignorance, who is the person 3rd from the left - to the left of Jones as we look at it?

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3749
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am
There's a team picture at

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-tea ... 19-round-9
In my ignorance, who is the person 3rd from the left - to the left of Jones as we look at it?
Howell on one side, to the other it is Adams, who seems to have lost some height along with some rating points.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3749
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am
Interesting snippet that England appear to have been employing Boris Avrukh as team coach.
If so, that may help to explain the success - and would be consistent with Gawain suddenly playing the Grunfeld.

Andy Stoker
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Andy Stoker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am
There's a team picture at

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-tea ... 19-round-9
In my ignorance, who is the person 3rd from the left - to the left of Jones as we look at it?
Howell on one side, to the other it is Adams, who seems to have lost some height along with some rating points.
Oh, apologies - I'd thought it was Adams on the extreme right - that's Malcolm Pein, I now see

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2737
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:08 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm
With the caveat that 1927 is strictly speaking Great Britain
And indeed that in 1976 the field was substantially weaker with the Soviet bloc boycott.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

In my ignorance, who is the person 3rd from the left - to the left of Jones as we look at it?
Howell on one side, to the other it is Adams, who seems to have lost some height along with some rating points.
Oh, apologies - I'd thought it was Adams on the extreme right - that's Malcolm Pein, I now see
The photograph at https://www.chess.com/news/view/england ... ampionship seems to me to be a bit clearer.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7217
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Howell on one side, to the other it is Adams, who seems to have lost some height along with some rating points.
I was puzzled by the height disparity as well. I think it can be explained by the fact that Gawain is very tall and Mickey, well, isn't. But there is also an element of position on the stage as well. Mickey is a bit further back than the others, making him looking even shorter than the others. You can see this clearly with Speelman (who is very tall), who doesn't look that tall here because he is also further back. Hint: if you want to look tall in a photo, get to the front and don't stand next to a tall person. Tom Cruise knows all about this.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm waiting to hear what the certificates say, and a close-up of the medals and trophy. Also, I hope the England team enjoyed Kazakhstan. I was there in 2012 (in Almaty, rather than Astana) and it is a very interesting country (mixture of influences from Russia and Central Asian cultures). Wonder if it has changed much in the past six years.

And what about the dress code! :lol:

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:26 pm
. Hint: if you want to look tall in a photo, get to the front and don't stand next to a tall person. Tom Cruise knows all about this.
Or stand on a box, which worked for Humphrey Bogart
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:28 am
Barminess in Azerbaijan v Egypt, with three games drawn in 11, 12 and 14 moves respectively - and Guseinov v Fawzy, where Black was already lost by then.
Still puzzled by this
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Post Reply