Candidates Tournament 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paul Cooksey

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm
Wonder what the players think
I think we can assume Fabi surprised given he is listed for Norway Chess in October

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Norway finishes on 16 October, so might he see it as a good warm up?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 am

Pete Doggers
"I'm eager to resume the Candidates Tournament; most sports have been resuming competitions, so I think FIDE is moving forward in the right direction," Vachier-Lagrave told Chess.com. "At the same time, I'm hoping that all conditions will be reinstated for safely bringing all players in the best conditions so that everyone feels comfortable, and that a thorough medical protocol—covering most if not all eventualities—will be devised to have a safe and stable environment for all players."

GM Anish Giri, who declined his participation in the upcoming Norway Chess tournament saying there were too many uncertainties, refrained from commenting on the news about the Candidates.
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:48 pm

Wang Hao is not happy at all to be continuing the Candidates in Russia and may drop out depending on discussions. He also says that Dvorkovich was rude to him "Do I understand your last message correct? You just do not want to play in the Candidates anymore? Or I misunderstood it? Shall we take it as if you just wish to play next door to your apartment or you think about reasonable and feasible solutions as well?"

Full story here

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 pm

What this report doesn't tell you, presumably because it will look bad for FIDE for even thinking of resuming the Candidates, is that Covid is way out of control in Yekaterinburg and there are reports of hospices being emptied to take in Covid patients. Terrible times.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Grischuk
It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that the FIDE leadership is trying to satisfy all the participants of the event, and that’s simply not possible, not even theoretically. I’ll give one example. Many of the players are really worried about the coronavirus, the conditions for guaranteeing their health and safety, and some medical questions. But my position, for example, is completely different. I’m ready to play, so to speak, in a garage, basement, zoo or train station. I don’t need any kind of medical insurance, luxury hotels and comfortable conditions for holding the event.

That doesn’t matter to me at all, and I’m also calm about the situation with the coronavirus, but I won’t play in a mask and gloves, or if I need to sit in quarantine for two weeks before the start of the event. Or to play in a so-called “bubble”, when during the tournament you’re not allowed to leave the territory of the hotel or some other premises. And how, in such a situation, can you satisfy both me and the other players? If we have exactly the opposite “demands”?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 pm

We are seeing the same type of debate at amateur level too, judging from discussions in the main forum.