Hastings

The very latest International round up of English news.
Richard Bates

Hastings

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Are they trialling a new pairing system which gives juniors their peak rating from the previous six months? ;)

Roger de Coverly

Re: Hastings

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:18 pm
Are they trialling a new pairing system which gives juniors their peak rating from the previous six months? ;)
It's not consistent. Perhaps it's just the rating when they entered.

It's accelerated but they've also paired 42 v 44. Maybe that's a late non-bye.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Why does a ten round Swiss need to be accelerated anyway?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm

That pairing seems odd.
But it is nice to see Jinwoo Song playing. I last saw him at London Chess Classic in 2017. It will be good to have a meal with him & his Korean team when he comes back to New Malden.

Best wishes to all forumites playing.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 am

In answer to some of the questions.

The Shreyas Royal wrong rating is my fault. The software should update ratings at the press of a button but for some reason refused to do so for players entered as ECF rather than FIDE. I manually did those but missed that one.

Acceleration was done because that is what was advertised. Whether it needs to be done is another matter. I think it is called 'tradition'.

Pairing 42-44 is the result of the people requesting byes. The computer divides into two sections without reference to non-players. This pairing is therefore the result of a downfloat.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:33 am

My rating needs updating too!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 am
The Shreyas Royal wrong rating is my fault. The software should update ratings at the press of a button but for some reason refused to do so for players entered as ECF rather than FIDE. I manually did those but missed that one.
I think I know what the answer to that is. When you update the ratings it looks at the FIDE-rating list for the FIDE ID to use it as the identifying key. If you have entered them as ECF, the identifying key is the ECF grading reference not the FIDE ID. This is one of the reasons why you should set the file up using the FIDE list whenever possible for an event using FIDE-ratings as the rating operandi, and not the ECF list. It also means you drag through the Club for some players and not others, so the presentation is inconsistent and doesn't look as nice in my opinion.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am

No disrespect to anyone involved - for example, I always enjoy following Gormally's games - but whatever happened to Hastings?

I only went once. On that occasion, Petrosian was playing.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am
No disrespect to anyone involved - for example, I always enjoy following Gormally's games - but whatever happened to Hastings?

I suspect lack of significant sponsorship for some years has had a long term effect.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am

Nick Ivell wrote:

I think the last invitation only round-robin event was in 2003-4 and you'd have to go back to 1988-89 to find the last event with world-class foreign players taking part. I wouldn't be surprised if these dates correspond to years when signifiant commercial sponsorship was lost.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Anyone contemplating the shortish walk from St Leonards Warrior Square station to the venue, with suitcase, should be warned that it is situated at the highest point of the South Downs.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:57 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Anyone contemplating the shortish walk from St Leonards Warrior Square station to the venue, with suitcase, should be warned that it is situated at the highest point of the South Downs.
Just the motivation needed for a New Year's resolution to lose weight and exercise more :-).
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:

Yes, the golden years of Hastings for me were before England had a grandmaster. The visiting Russians et al seemed godlike, especially too as there were no analysis engines. What fervour if a home player scored a win! There was applause when Hartston beat Gligoric. I first went in 1961-62 and one memorable non-chess moment was finding myself at the urinals at the same time as Botvinnik. Frank Rhoden successfully invited so many great players, but I remember him moaning to me that he once had the 14-year-old Fischer ready to fly over but a home player would not give up his place in the 10-player apa Premier despite being offered a guaranteed place the following year. I wonder if it's an apocryphal story that the £100 first prize was worth only £96 because even the grandmasters had to pay the £4 entry fee. Anyway it was great to play in a morning tournament and then watch the GMs on the manual demo boards in the afternoon.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm
Frank Rhoden successfully invited so many great players, but I remember him moaning to me that he once had the 14-year-old Fischer ready to fly over but a home player would not give up his place in the 10-player apa Premier despite being offered a guaranteed place the following year. I wonder if it's an apocryphal story that the £100 first prize was worth only £96 because even the grandmasters had to pay the £4 entry fee.
This would have been 1957/8 (Fischer was born in 1943) and as the tournament would have coincided with the US Championship, which was Fischer's first and offered an opportunity to qualify for the Interzonal, would he really have passed that up in order to play at Hastings?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:55 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm
Paul Habershon wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm
Frank Rhoden successfully invited so many great players, but I remember him moaning to me that he once had the 14-year-old Fischer ready to fly over but a home player would not give up his place in the 10-player apa Premier despite being offered a guaranteed place the following year. I wonder if it's an apocryphal story that the £100 first prize was worth only £96 because even the grandmasters had to pay the £4 entry fee.
This would have been 1957/8 (Fischer was born in 1943) and as the tournament would have coincided with the US Championship, which was Fischer's first and offered an opportunity to qualify for the Interzonal, would he really have passed that up in order to play at Hastings?
Rather than a home player refusing to withdraw, a home player had to be added late when Rossolimo also withdrew. The substitute didn't do that badly either, finishing fourth behind the three world championship candidates Keres, Filip and Gligoric. And yes Justin is correct, Bobby withdrew because it clashed with the US championship/zonal.