The Irish International Open 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The Irish International Open 2019

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:28 am

His Round 1 opponent writes
That fills in some detail on how the cheating was done. Like the Olympiad case with one of the French team, an engine wasn't strictly necessary. According to the round 1 opponent, it was an accomplice or accomplices who were signalling suggested moves in some manner. That would imply that they had phones or computers with them and were allowed and able to use them within easy reach of the players. For the game against the GM, the players were in another room and the accomplices weren't able to follow the game once the arbiters switched off the display feed.

Use of equipment by spectators and back up teams is something organisers and arbiters may need to think about. A hard line approach would be to insist that devices are off in any area where the players would have access. That may cause problems for parents of younger children.

It's unsettling though when after the game, a spectator, evidently following the game on an engine, points out a winning idea that both players had missed.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am
It's unsettling though when after the game, a spectator, evidently following the game on an engine, points out a winning idea that both players had missed.
At the London Chess Classic one year, Nakamura came up to me after his game and asked me whether he had missed a win at a certain point. I looked at him blankly, until it dawned on me that he thought that the arbiters would have been following the games with engines. In fact we had not been doing so, as there was a risk that the players might have accidentally seen the screens while collecting refreshments.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 am
In fact we had not been doing so, as there was a risk that the players might have accidentally seen the screens while collecting refreshments.
I'd have thought there was also a risk of unconscious bias in any decision you might have to make on the game if you knew that the decision was, or was not, likely to have a material effect on the result of the game.

There might also be a risk of the arbiter inadvertently passing on information to the players. At the last tournament at which I played the arbiters forbid spectators from making eye contact with players in case this happened (deliberately or not). The instruction was that if a spectator wanted to watch a friend's/relative's game they had to stand behind the player so they couldn't be seen by the player.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am
A hard line approach would be to insist that devices are off in any area where the players would have access.
I consider that a minimum requirement.

Children taking a test at school are not permitted to run out of the room between answering each question to talk to their parents. Why should playing a rated game of chess be different?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed May 01, 2019 11:47 am

Probably better if the arbiters don't know the computer evaluation of a position too.

There was a nice passage in Dominic Lawson's book relating a moment when Short played a novelty in his candidates match against Karpov. Karpov fixed a stare on Lawson in the audience. He knew Lawson was part of Short's camp. Our esteemed president said he was glad he did not know if Short was bluffing, because he thought Karpov would be able to read him. (from memory, I'm probably messing up the detail).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am
I'd have thought there was also a risk of unconscious bias in any decision you might have to make on the game if you knew that the decision was, or was not, likely to have a material effect on the result of the game.
We may well know that anyway. Most positions don't require engine assistance to enable players of c2000 strength to know who stands better.

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am
There might also be a risk of the arbiter inadvertently passing on information to the players. At the last tournament at which I played the arbiters forbid spectators from making eye contact with players in case this happened (deliberately or not). The instruction was that if a spectator wanted to watch a friend's/relative's game they had to stand behind the player so they couldn't be seen by the player.
We have training. I assume that this sought of thing was covered at the Arbiters' Course which you attended.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu May 02, 2019 1:02 am

Most positions don't require engine assistance to enable players of c2000 strength to know who stands better.

change that to c1700 strength. I am well aware I have been better in my last four games av c2060 opponent but not converted any.

on children leaving room most of time it is going to loo or picking up refreshments from parents. parents use laptop for anything except chess.

seems to be some draconian changes but I cannot imagine an announcement on Saturday about avoiding eye contact.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 02, 2019 8:21 am

"parents use laptop for anything except chess."

Most of the time probably. There have been occasions where they are looking at child's game on software.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:21 am
There have been occasions where they are looking at child's game on software.
Or they are playing on a liveboard, so they are watching the game on Chess24 (or something) on their phone, which has an engine on it.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu May 02, 2019 2:11 pm

Is it an offence this w/e at daventry to scan a live board at telford however inadvertently? like when picking up a coffee.

isn't the solution to hire venues without wifi?

is there going to be an announcement about avoiding eye contact?