Caruana resigns in a winning position

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Caruana resigns in a winning position

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Caruana resigns in a winning position

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:04 am

Well at least Sam Shankland will sympathise.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:55 am

But Caruana was one of the Fantastic Four (the other three recently finished as also rans at Gibraltar.)
Does anybody offhand know the phone number of the Trades Description Department.

A while back in a lost position I set someone a 'Do or DIe' trap. They avoided the trap but
in doing so gave themselves a lost position. Because they avoided my trap I of course resigned. (doh!)

At the next London Classic money for old rope feeding frenzy can they sneak me in, label us as 'The Famous Five!'
I'll be Glass Trap Man alongside Blunder Boy, Doctor Draw, Nosebleed and The Invisible Charisma.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 pm

As a result of his excellent performance in the Champions Showdown, Fabiano Caruana has moved up 11 places to 3rd in the live Rapid list and 6 places to 8th in the live Blitz list.

He is now rated above 2800 in all three formats.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Guess this is the chess equivalent of watching a car crash as Topalov blunders mate against Dominguez in the Champions Showdown. Nakamura's reactions during the game are priceless though they might be seen by some as possibly tipping off Dominguez?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm
Guess this is the chess equivalent of watching a car crash as Topalov blunders mate[/url] against Dominguez in the Champions Showdown. Nakamura's during the game are priceless though they might be seen by some as possibly tipping off Dominguez?
Similarly at Gibraltar with his reaction to Aronian's dubious sacrifice against David Howell captured by the commentary team and highlighted by the Guardian website.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am

"Nakamura's reactions during the game are priceless though they might be seen by some as possibly tipping off Dominguez?"

I was lucky enough to experience this at close quarters. Tony Ashby and I partnered each other in Gibraltar's pairs blitz (alternate moves by the partners) a few years ago and played Nakamura and AN Other. I attacked their queen in the opening, and AN Other failed to notice. It was a weird opening. I struggled not to fall off my chair, as that might be regarded as an attempt to alert Tony, but Nakamura's furious glare at his partner was certainly priceless. I suspect Tony would have noticed anyway... It has to be said you can normally tell what Nakamura is thinking.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:55 am
But Caruana was one of the Fantastic Four (the other three recently finished as also rans at Gibraltar.)
Does anybody offhand know the phone number of the Trades Description Department.

A while back in a lost position I set someone a 'Do or DIe' trap. They avoided the trap but
in doing so gave themselves a lost position. Because they avoided my trap I of course resigned. (doh!)

At the next London Classic money for old rope feeding frenzy can they sneak me in, label us as 'The Famous Five!'
I'll be Glass Trap Man alongside Blunder Boy, Doctor Draw, Nosebleed and The Invisible Charisma.
Caruana, like the other head to head winners, picked up $36,000, so I doubt he's worried about 1 loss

The losers got $24,000 according to Chess Mind
Not bad for a week's work!
as I'm sure Geoff will agree
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 pm
As a result of his excellent performance in the Champions Showdown, Fabiano Caruana has moved up 11 places to 3rd in the live Rapid list and 6 places to 8th in the live Blitz list.

He is now rated above 2800 in all three formats.
Be aware that these unofficial lists can be wrong.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:28 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am
Be aware that these unofficial lists can be wrong.
I should have prefaced my comment with something like "According to the (unofficial) Live Rating list.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 am

They *can* be wrong just like any list I suppose but in my experience they're remarkably accurate and up-to-date. I don't really find them any less reliable than the official list anyway!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 am
They *can* be wrong just like any list I suppose but in my experience they're remarkably accurate and up-to-date.
What do you mean by accurate? I'm asking because I don't know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:29 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 am
They *can* be wrong just like any list I suppose but in my experience they're remarkably accurate and up-to-date. I don't really find them any less reliable than the official list anyway!
At today's date there are now two conflicting lists for rapid and blitz ratings. Which one do you consider to be more reliable?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:29 am
At today's date there are now two conflicting lists for rapid and blitz ratings. Which one do you consider to be more reliable?
Where is the conflict between the two lists?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:05 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:29 am
Where is the conflict between the two lists?
There isn't one now. During the day, 2700 have changed their numbers to bring them into line with FIDE's March list. I suppose that is to be expected, since their modus operandi is to start from the most recent FIDE list and adjust for subsequent games. When they have made mistakes, these just get wiped out.