Sébastien Feller

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Sébastien Feller

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am

It seems his case (and that of Arnaud Hauchard and Cyril Marzolo) has finally reached a court - it was heard in Thionville on Monday. There's a variety of French sources that mention the case, but if I correctly understand them (which I doubt) the prosecution are seeking a nine-month suspended sentence and the judgement will be delivered on 27 May.

[This, and indeed this, via the Facebook group No More Cheating In Chess.]
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Re: Sébastien Feller

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am
It seems his case (and that of Arnaud Hauchard and Cyril Marzolo) has finally reached a court - it was heard in Thionville on Monday.
A slight surprise that the judicial system got involved, but was it perhaps the French equivalent of a private prosecution by the FFE?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:11 am

JustinHorton wrote:
via the Facebook group No More Cheating In Chess.]
It seems the only way to find out anything about these groups is to join them, so I have applied. I had to confirm that I was opposed to cheating in chess, but I added that I was also opposed to unsubstantiated accusations of cheating. I don't know whether this will disqualify me.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 am

From echecs64

http://echecs64.20minutes-blogs.fr/tag/feller
Malgré de forts soupçons de la FFE, une théorie bidon du "vol du bourdon" (supposément blitz-dansée par Hauchard qui se serait déplacé pour indiquer la case à jouer pour Feller) et bien d’autres choses, le modus operandi supposé n'a jamais été éclairci.
Translation routines have blitz-dansée as blitz-danced but I think it's an idiom for Ballroom dancing and "vol du bourdon" is a reference to the music piece "Flight of the Bumblebee". Box to play should presumably be square to play.
Despite strong suspicions of the FFE, a bogus theory of "flight of the drone" (supposedly blitz-danced by Hauchard who would have moved to indicate the box to play for Feller) and many other things, the modus operandi supposed has never been cleared

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:11 am
JustinHorton wrote:
via the Facebook group No More Cheating In Chess.]
It seems the only way to find out anything about these groups is to join them, so I have applied. I had to confirm that I was opposed to cheating in chess, but I added that I was also opposed to unsubstantiated accusations of cheating. I don't know whether this will disqualify me.
It shouldn't do. I regularly make posts on there warning about the dangers of witch-hunting.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 am
From echecs64

http://echecs64.20minutes-blogs.fr/tag/feller
Malgré de forts soupçons de la FFE, une théorie bidon du "vol du bourdon" (supposément blitz-dansée par Hauchard qui se serait déplacé pour indiquer la case à jouer pour Feller) et bien d’autres choses, le modus operandi supposé n'a jamais été éclairci.
Translation routines have blitz-dansée as blitz-danced but I think it's an idiom for Ballroom dancing and "vol du bourdon" is a reference to the music piece "Flight of the Bumblebee". Box to play should presumably be square to play.
Despite strong suspicions of the FFE, a bogus theory of "flight of the drone" (supposedly blitz-danced by Hauchard who would have moved to indicate the box to play for Feller) and many other things, the modus operandi supposed has never been cleared
Presumably that last bit is actually the modus operandi has never been clarified (or established?)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Presumably that last bit is actually the modus operandi has never been clarified (or established?)
The theory had been that they were exploiting the existence of four board matches to use international postal notation to suggest either moves or squares of interest.

FIDE took it seriously enough to add a rule about where match captains and players could stand.
12,3The team captain must not stand behind the opposing team during play

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am
JustinHorton wrote:
It seems his case (and that of Arnaud Hauchard and Cyril Marzolo) has finally reached a court - it was heard in Thionville on Monday.
A slight surprise that the judicial system got involved, but was it perhaps the French equivalent of a private prosecution by the FFE?
That's an interesting point. Also, it's nine years since the events took place, which is quite a long time by any standards for a case to come to court.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com