Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris
Posts: 7630
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:12 am

website

Carlsen, Mamedyarov, Ding Liren, Giri, Anand, Grischuk, Karjakin, Radjabov, Topalov, Navara
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Steven DuCharme
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 pm
Location: West Bend,WI USA

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Steven DuCharme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Go Grischuk!
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6685
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm

Sensational swindle in Anand v Navara
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice
Posts: 2804
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Personally I prefer playing with an increment but Magnus makes a very good point about the time control at this tournament where you only get the 30 second increment from move 61: "I believe in classical chess it’s a good idea not to have increment because it gives an extra dimension to the game in that you have to spend your time well and ration it rather than just relying on the increment. It’s a very nice change of pace".

NickFaulks
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Magnus makes a very good point about the time control at this tournament
He is absolutely right and I hope he and other top players will keep saying this.

The other question, which FIDE have so far managed to keep buried, is why the increment in the final period needs to be 30 seconds. Before anyone else says it, I know this suits the arbiters.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Magnus makes a very good point about the time control at this tournament
He is absolutely right and I hope he and other top players will keep saying this.

The other question, which FIDE have so far managed to keep buried, is why the increment in the final period needs to be 30 seconds. Before anyone else says it, I know this suits the arbiters.
The use of 30 second increments became almost universal after a survey found a majority of top players favoured it. Opinion may have changed since, of course.

As Chief Arbiter of the Grand Chess Tour, I have spent a lot of time dealing with the problem of players displacing pieces. This inevitably happens with a small increment or delay, which is of course a necessity in Rapid & Blitz events.

In Standardplay events a 30 second increment largely avoids such issues, to the benefit of arbiters and players alike.

However, 15 seconds might be a good compromise. Unlike Nick, I have no direct experience of the Central London League, but a time limit of 75 minutes plus 15 seconds increment seems to have worked well there.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:25 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
The use of 30 second increments became almost universal after a survey found a majority of top players favoured it.
Which survey was that?

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:25 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
The use of 30 second increments became almost universal after a survey found a majority of top players favoured it.
Which survey was that?
https://www.chessprofessionals.org/cont ... me-control

NickFaulks
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:25 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
The use of 30 second increments became almost universal after a survey found a majority of top players favoured it.
Which survey was that?
https://www.chessprofessionals.org/cont ... me-control
In which they were invited to choose between a 30" increment and a 30" increment!

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18218
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
but a time limit of 75 minutes plus 15 seconds increment seems to have worked well there.
The potential problem with 15 second increments is that without a requirement to keep score or an electronic device such as a DGT Board hopefully doing so, validating disputed repetition or fifty move claims becomes problematic.

That would be a question for FIDE's Swiss world qualifier. If they didn't use 30 second increments, would they need an arbiter for each board?

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Back to the chess - the first round was all draws and had the usual suspects proclaiming, yet again, the "death" of classical chess.

3 of the 5 games in round two were decisive :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:25 am

Which survey was that?
https://www.chessprofessionals.org/cont ... me-control
In which they were invited to choose between a 30" increment and a 30" increment!
I had intended my comments to refer to whether there should be increments before the first time control.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 am
but a time limit of 75 minutes plus 15 seconds increment seems to have worked well there.
The potential problem with 15 second increments is that without a requirement to keep score or an electronic device such as a DGT Board hopefully doing so, validating disputed repetition or fifty move claims becomes problematic.

That would be a question for FIDE's Swiss world qualifier. If they didn't use 30 second increments, would they need an arbiter for each board?
I imagine that they will have DGT Boards for each game.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Carlsen wins again and pushes his "live" rating back above 2850.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7397
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Gashimov Memorial 2019 Shamkir 30 Mar to 9 April

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:03 pm
Carlsen wins again and pushes his "live" rating back above 2850.
To avoid confusion: Carlsen won yesterday (against Navara in round 3) and has drawn today (in round 4) with Topalov (to add to his round 2 win over Anand and round 1 draw with Radjabov).

Carlsen's current live rating after four rounds of this tournament is 2851.4.

Post Reply