Grand Chess Tour 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

Grand Chess Tour 2019

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm

The Grand Chess Tour 2019 Côte d'Ivoire Rapid & Blitz takes place from Wednesday 8th May to Sunday 12th May.

Overview: https://grandchesstour.org/news-press-r ... hedule-and

Live Games: https://grandchesstour.org/2019-grand-c ... Blitz-Live

Results and Pairings: http://chess-results.com/tnr437793.aspx?lan=1 and http://chess-results.com/tnr437799.aspx?lan=1

Starting Times: 1800 UK time on the three Rapid days; 1500 UK time on the two Blitz days. (NB This is a change from the times previously announced.)

NickFaulks

Re: Grand Chess Tour 2019

Post by NickFaulks » Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm
(NB This is a change from the times previously announced.)
Not a welcome one for me. I was expecting to see most of the rapids and now I won't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 am

I was glad David posted the start times, since was a bit difficult to tell from the broadcast. Good event so far.

The GCT commentary much more to my taste for this event than usual. Tania Sachdev is not the most polished presenter, but her enthusiasm lifts the whole show.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Carlsen showing he is after all fallible yesterday - will this final round of games show him back to his usual recent form?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

I hope David is enjoying his trip. Perhaps if he has a moment on his return he might share with us the extent to which this sort of event contributes to stimulating the growth of chess in the Ivory Coast. Do the players fulfil publicity engagements such as simuls or visits to local schools whilst in the country? I am aware that Nigel Short's itinerary of recent years has combined competition with these sort of activities, but am unaware of the extent to which it forms part of the DNA of the Grand Chess Tour.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm
I hope David is enjoying his trip. Perhaps if he has a moment on his return he might share with us the extent to which this sort of event contributes to stimulating the growth of chess in the Ivory Coast. Do the players fulfil publicity engagements such as simuls or visits to local schools whilst in the country? I am aware that Nigel Short's itinerary of recent years has combined competition with these sort of activities, but am unaware of the extent to which it forms part of the DNA of the Grand Chess Tour.
I shall be pleased to respond to that, but it will have to wait until I have returned home and caught up with my sleep.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 am
I shall be pleased to respond to that, but it will have to wait until I have returned home and caught up with my sleep.
I had completely forgotten - sorry. I shall try to get round to doing this.

I have started a thread at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10285 for discussion of the forthcoming GCT Classical event in Zagreb, Croatia.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 am
I had completely forgotten - sorry. I shall try to get round to doing this.
Sleeping or replying? :wink: