Grand Chess Tour - Sinquefield Cup 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
Leonard Barden

Re: Grand Chess Tour - Sinquefield Cup 2019

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Anyone want to go out on a limb and predict Ding Liren might be a difficult challenger for Carlsen to face?
This is discussed in the comments to this week's Guardian column, which is now online.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:23 pm

"the 'keen' person is Norwegian chess journalist Tarjei J. Svensen."

Tarjei has been a friend of Magnus for a long time, and worked with him too.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Chris,

"...Well worth following his tweets."

I do not have tweet, cannot see me ever joining that.

Said the same about Facebook but my old regiment set up a page so I joined to catch up on friends from 40-45 years ago.
But think I'll stay off Tweet, but do keep us informed if you see something interesting.

Maybe that lad copied his Tweet data from someone else.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks, Leonard. Excellent column:

Ding Liren ends Magnus Carlsen’s tie-break run at Sinquefield Cup
"The world No 3 has his sights on a push for the world crown in 2020 after blitz victory in St Louis"
Surely if Carlsen plays in the IoM, as that is an 11-round event, that will be where he may break Ding Liren's unbeaten streak?

Can anyone explain why Anand's technique deserted him? Age catching up with him, maybe? Or maybe just the (delay) time control they used?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm
This is discussed in the comments to this week's Guardian column, which is now online.
You might want to update the statement "Carlsen will now take a break, probably returning in November for Fide’s new 100-player invitational on the Isle of Man ...".

It actually takes place from 10 - 21 October and will consist of 160 players - "The starting field of 160 players will feature 120 FIDE qualifiers, with the world's top-100 players invited based on their average rating over a 12-month period. The other 40 participants will be chosen as "wildcards" allocated by the tournament director, Alan Ormsby, including four spots allocated to Chess.com online qualifiers." (https://www.fide.com/component/content/ ... swiss.html)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Many thanks to Chris and Ian for their helpful posts above, hopefully all fixed now.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm
Can anyone explain why Anand's technique deserted him? Age catching up with him, maybe? Or maybe just the (delay) time control they used?
Vishy seems to be blaming advancing years himself, maybe that is slightly over pessimistic?

(and the time format quite possibly didn't help)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:50 pm
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm
Vishy seems to be blaming advancing years himself, maybe that is slightly over pessimistic?

(and the time format quite possibly didn't help)
I was as surprised with the ease that he got such good positions.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:20 am

I do like the fact the I.O.M. is a candidates qualifier. It is going to be the chess event of the year.

We could have 6 of them to determine 6 boards at the candidates.
(winners not allowed to take part in later events) last two places taken up
with the two players who have scored the most points in these events but not qualified
thus doing away with losing finalist (why award a failure) and the candidate wildcard.

All it would take would be to upgrade a few other established tournaments like Gibraltar.

Can sympathise with Anand, players like Korchnoi and Lasker are exceptions.
Nothing can prepare you for how you will play when you get older, you just have to wait and see
what happens and how you handle it. Wins from my last batch of league games came under 30 moves,
Games that lasted longer shattered me me. I lost quite a few with silly blunders, leaving pieces hanging etc, the type
of blunders I never made even when I was first starting out. Speaking to other older players it's comforting I know I'm not alone.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Geoff, interesting thoughts on where the big boys are heading next...

You'll never be alone as long as humans play chess.

And, when the machines take over we'll be past caring.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:19 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:20 am
Speaking to other older players it's comforting I know I'm not alone.
I really believe that it's mostly about the clock - we need to understand that we are in time trouble from the first move and not waste a single minute on nonsense. That may be good advice for younger players too, but they cope better with the consequences of ignoring it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:00 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Anyone want to go out on a limb and predict Ding Liren might be a difficult challenger for Carlsen to face?
I think Danny Gormally was saying two years ago that he thought Ding Liren would go on to succeed Carlsen as world champion.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi Nick,

I never lost a game on time, maybe in some cases I should have taken longer.
The clock was always my friend, but once hitting 60 I seemed to lose my OTB stamina
and suddenly got tired and the board seemed like a new position every time I looked at it.

Do not mind too much, had a good innings, bit frustrating not being able to rely on your sense of danger
and suddenly have to do an error check on every move, then you make a move and leave a Knight hanging...with check!
Still fit and OK but have no positional sense to fall back on. Every move has to be a tactic and that is a younger man's game.
Maybe those with a more positional style play better with age. The harem-scarum players burn out. (research needs to be done.)

Hi Mark,

Think everyone in the top 20 has been tipped as Carlsen's challenger at one time or another.
Doubt if anyone will beat Mr.Barden tipping the rise of Kasparov in the early 70's. That was amazing.

The most humorous (IMO) wrong tip was Anish Giri in his 2015 book; 'After Magnus' where he tipped,
everyone worth a shout except the one player who got to the next 2016 W.C. final. Karjakin! (OOPS!)