World Cup Knockout 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: World Cup Knockout 2019

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 pm
Mamedyarov, who if I recall has a taste for 1 e4 e5 bylines, has punted the Philidor today.
And Safarli has resigned, a decision I'd be interested to read comment about from someone who knows about rook endings.
Talking of rook endings, So v Vidit looks a tough one (66 moves played as I write).
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Huge blunder by Karjakin and he loses to Vitiugov
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm

ooh, one move catastrophic losing blunder by Karjakin. Not something that happens often.

Edit: although posts about it are more common...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 pm
To the extent that organisers have a choice in these matters, you might hope that's a name to be added to a list of arbiters to never, ever be invited to officiate at an event.
That's probably unfair. I expect he has been given a detailed list of rules to follow, and any other arbiter would have to do the same. I believe that Ashot is held in high regard by the top players.
Ashot is pictured in Pete Doggers round 2 tiebreaks report
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
That's probably unfair. I expect he has been given a detailed list of rules to follow, and any other arbiter would have to do the same. I believe that Ashot is held in high regard by the top players.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:25 pm
That seems quite uncalled for. It is unfortunate that the dress code was not formulated earlier, but that is not Ashot Vardapetian's fault.
Just to lend my own comment in rebuttal of Roger's nonsense...

The World Cup regulations are very clear on what the dress code is: https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/Worl ... ations.pdf
4. 13. 1. The dress code is strictly observed.
4. 13. 1. 1. Dress code for men: neat shirt and formal suit.
4. 13. 1. 2. Dress code for women: neat shirt/blouse and formal suit (with slacks or skirt) or dress.
4. 13. 1. 3. No players with t-shirts, jeans, shorts, sneakers, baseball caps or inappropriate dress are allowed in a playing area. Any
requests to wear national or traditional dress must be approved by GSC.

That seems pretty clear to me that Ashot is doing what the regulations suggest.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:00 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 am
Ashot is pictured in Pete Doggers round 2 tiebreaks report
Peter Doggers wrote:The drawing of lots was performed by the chief arbiter Ashot Vardapetyan, who held a white pawn in one hand and a black pawn in the other. This led to some confusion. The regulations say that the player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the color, but they don't say which player gets to perform the drawing.

Giri got to pick, drew the right pawn and chose black. However, then the arbiter told him that another drawing was needed because the first one was only to determine which player got to perform the draw.

That seemed to be an ad hoc decision by the arbiter, and Giri argued that this was not how it was done normally. Since Najer didn't protest, the arbiter accepted this and Giri got to play Black right away.
I conduct coin tosses all the time in cricket. There are no rules about how it should be done in terms of who tosses the coin. There's an unwritten convention that the home team tosses the coin and the away team calls, but when you have games on neutral venues (e.g. festivals), we just ask a captain to toss the coin. Somehow, cricket has survived this inadequacy for over 400 years.

Yet in chess, there is a dispute about the precise way that lots should be drawn. I'm not remotely surprised, as I wrote very prescriptive rules for the County Championship Final coin toss procedure, on the basis that I knew someone would raise a procedural dispute about it not being done properly. :roll:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 am

It remains my view that someone who makes such a fuss about trivia has no place in charge of a major event. He could point to FIDE's long standing practices of making it up as they go along and not taken a hard line on dress and for that matter enforcing zero time defaults with fines.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:

It remains my view that someone who makes such a fuss about trivia has no place in charge of a major event. He could point to FIDE's long standing practices of making it up as they go along and not taken a hard line on dress and for that matter enforcing zero time defaults with fines.
I actually have some sympathy with what I imply to be your opinion on the zero tolerance with fines, given the rule is in the 2021 regulations, but isn't in the published 2019 regulations and was only added on the website later. I would have said that if FIDE wanted particular rules enforced, they should put them in the regulations in the first instance - I've done precisely that for the Grand Swiss, so I have practiced what I preach!

I don't see it as the Chief Arbiter's role in any FIDE tournament to deliberately not enforce tournament regulations written by FIDE. If you don't like any particular rule, then you say so to the Global Strategy Commission. As it happens, I've written to GSC to express what I perceive to be a flaw in their $500 rule, but they seem to disagree. I think that's fair enough; they have at least considered my point and answered it with reasons why, and that's all I can really ask for. In the past, an email sent to some people within FIDE would just disappear into the ether.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm
Huge blunder by Karjakin and he loses to Vitiugov
Game 2 is drawn, so Karjakin is out

Vitiugov through with So, Aronian, Shak, Grischuk, Radjabov, Duda & Alekseenko I think
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Catching the end of Ding v Firouzja, KR and a-pawn v KR which White finally appears to be winning
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Commentary by Jon Speelman has been very good for this event as for the other events he has done on twitch or through lichess site https://www.twitch.tv/jonspeelman

Ian Rogers

Post by Ian Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:

I actually have some sympathy with what I imply to be your opinion on the zero tolerance with fines, given the rule is in the 2021 regulations, but isn't in the published 2019 regulations and was only added on the website later. I would have said that if FIDE wanted particular rules enforced, they should put them in the regulations in the first instance - I've done precisely that for the Grand Swiss, so I have practiced what I preach!

I don't see it as the Chief Arbiter's role in any FIDE tournament to deliberately not enforce tournament regulations written by FIDE. If you don't like any particular rule, then you say so to the Global Strategy Commission. As it happens, I've written to GSC to express what I perceive to be a flaw in their $500 rule, but they seem to disagree. I think that's fair enough; they have at least considered my point and answered it with reasons why, and that's all I can really ask for. In the past, an email sent to some people within FIDE would just disappear into the ether.
Funny you should say that it is not the arbiter's job to deliberately not enforce regulations, because that is exactly what Vardapetian did in the first round of the World Cup!
On the first days the buses arrived only ten minutes before the start of the round and the necessity for three security checks meant that quite a few players would not make it on time.
So with four minutes to go before the start of the first round, the digital clock in the playing hall was suddenly turned off and a few minutes later Vardapetian began making a long series of redundant greetings - e.g introducing the appeals committee - and announcements.
The filibuster was finished only when Vardapetian saw the final player rushed to his board. With everybody present and correct, Vardapetian abruptly stopped waffling and began the round.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 pm

It doesn't seem as if Firouzja will be staying with us after today. MVL meanwhile, having to beat Jakovenko to survive, has done precisely that.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:31 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm
Catching the end of Ding v Firouzja, KR and a-pawn v KR which White finally appears to be winning
... 53... Rf6?! Was the start of B's demise.

Could've tried keeping his R on the c-file instead.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm

"The filibuster was finished only when Vardapetian saw the final player rushed to his board. With everybody present and correct, Vardapetian abruptly stopped waffling and began the round."

That seems entirely sensible!