Candidates Tournament 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

"I will pick Anish Giri."

After an 8-way tie on 7/14!

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:54 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm
"I will pick Anish Giri."

After an 8-way tie on 7/14!
Ultimately winning via a series of armageddons where he repeatedly draws as black..

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm

Fabiano. hopefully all 8 will be ok

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 am

Pete Doggers
FIDE President Dvorkovich told Chess.com: "We have been in contact with the Chinese Chess Association and the Chinese embassy. Although we're still waiting for a formal response, we received the assurance that traveling for the players will be possible."

On returning to China, Ding and Wang will most probably need to go in quarantine, which might also be the case for other participants. Back in October, Wang shared his worries about his safety if the tournament were to be resumed in November. According to Dvorkovich, all players have responded positively although some of them had "questions about logistics."

The playing conditions will be similar to those in March 2020 and during the recent tournament in Wijk aan Zee, which means the players will need to undergo a COVID test at arrival and one or two more times during the event. According to Dvorkovich, the playing hall is likely going to change from the Hyatt to another hotel because some players had complained that the windows in their rooms could not be opened.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 am

In my opinion, Wang Hao has a much much better chance of victory than most people credit him with.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am

I see the games are kicking off at 4pm, I take it that's local time? (i.e. noon where most of you are.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Yes, noon UK time according to the countdown clock at chess24live

TWIC has
New schedule: R8 (Mon 19th Apr 12pm BST), R9 (Tue 20th Apr 12pm BST), R10 (Thu 22nd Apr 12pm BST), R11 (Fri 23rd Apr 12pm BST), R12 (Sat 24th Apr 12pm BST), R13 (Mon 26th Apr 12pm BST), R14 (Tue 27th Apr 12pm BST) and TB if needed (Wed 28th Apr 12pm BST).
Pete Doggers was at the Press Conference
Karjakin Names Nepomniachtchi As Most Difficult Opponent For Carlsen
The measures taken against the coronavirus are slightly different from last year when the players were tested several times during the tournament. Now, they need to show only a negative result from a PCR test taken at least 72 hours before the first round. There will be temperature checks before the start of the round, but they won't be tested further unless they are showing symptoms. They also don't need to wear face masks during play.

If a player tests positive during the tournament, the general plan is to continue without that player.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am

Commentary on chess24 with David Howell, Judit Polgar, Tania Sachdev and Magnus Carlsen
For Rounds 8-10, Magnus will be joined by Tania Sachdev and David Howell, while for the last four rounds Judit Polgar will team up with Tania and guests for live commentary
The players are required to have a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours before the start of the event
There will be no more tests unless someone is showing symptoms
If a player is forced to pull out after a positive test the organisers will attempt to complete the tournament without them
Arkady Dvorkovich says he knows two players, one Russian and one Chinese (most likely Wang Hao and Ian Nepomniachtchi), have been vaccinated, but has no information on the others. He offered the players vaccinations after the event but advised against vaccinations now due to possible side-effects.
The players will not be required to wear masks and can choose whether to shake hands with other players
The venue is the same Hyatt Regency hotel in Yekaterinburg, Russia as for the first half of the event
A small number of spectators will be allowed in the playing hall, but only children or people who can show a negative PCR test result or have been vaccinated
Spectators will be able to watch Sergey Shipov commentating live in another room with only masks and social distancing required
This time there will not be any additional opening ceremony, just a technical meeting with the players
Chess.com have Vishy Anand
Your daily hosts are GM Robert Hess and IM Danny Rensch and, like last year, we'll have the legendary super-GM Vishy Anand every day as well! The five-time world champion and winner of the 2014 Candidates in this very format will provide his invaluable insights and experience. Other guests will include GM Wesley So, GM Levon Aronian, and the famous coach NM Bruce Pandolfini.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am

chess24 preview

Grischuk
There’s not going to be any “bubble”. You can leave the hotel, as you could last time, so the conditions are normal. I wouldn’t have played otherwise.
Last time all the staff, which was about 50 people, went around in masks. That was the very start of the pandemic and it looked hostile. Plus, they tried to force us to have medical check-ups twice a day. Over the year I’ve already got used to the situation, so if it’ll be a similar story again I’ll be able to deal with it. The main thing is that I can play without a mask.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am

Chess Mind
I picked Caruana (of course) before the event started; at this point, I have no idea what to think, as the players may have forgotten by now how to play slow chess. We'll see.
I'd pretty much agree with that :)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 am

Obscurely, though play doesn't start for nearly another hour, Chessbomb is showing 1 e4 in Alekseenko v Grischuk and 1 e4 e5 in Caruana v Vacher-Lagrave
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Half right; Grischuk has played the French, is that a surprise?

MVL has played the Najdorf as expected

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 pm
Half right; Grischuk has played the French, is that a surprise?
Given his public contempt for that opening...
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:45 pm

All eyes on Caruana v MVL
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton