Candidates Tournament 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paul Cooksey

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm
Wonder what the players think
I think we can assume Fabi surprised given he is listed for Norway Chess in October

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Norway finishes on 16 October, so might he see it as a good warm up?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 am

Pete Doggers
"I'm eager to resume the Candidates Tournament; most sports have been resuming competitions, so I think FIDE is moving forward in the right direction," Vachier-Lagrave told Chess.com. "At the same time, I'm hoping that all conditions will be reinstated for safely bringing all players in the best conditions so that everyone feels comfortable, and that a thorough medical protocol—covering most if not all eventualities—will be devised to have a safe and stable environment for all players."

GM Anish Giri, who declined his participation in the upcoming Norway Chess tournament saying there were too many uncertainties, refrained from commenting on the news about the Candidates.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:48 pm

Wang Hao is not happy at all to be continuing the Candidates in Russia and may drop out depending on discussions. He also says that Dvorkovich was rude to him "Do I understand your last message correct? You just do not want to play in the Candidates anymore? Or I misunderstood it? Shall we take it as if you just wish to play next door to your apartment or you think about reasonable and feasible solutions as well?"

Full story here

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 pm

What this report doesn't tell you, presumably because it will look bad for FIDE for even thinking of resuming the Candidates, is that Covid is way out of control in Yekaterinburg and there are reports of hospices being emptied to take in Covid patients. Terrible times.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Grischuk
It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that the FIDE leadership is trying to satisfy all the participants of the event, and that’s simply not possible, not even theoretically. I’ll give one example. Many of the players are really worried about the coronavirus, the conditions for guaranteeing their health and safety, and some medical questions. But my position, for example, is completely different. I’m ready to play, so to speak, in a garage, basement, zoo or train station. I don’t need any kind of medical insurance, luxury hotels and comfortable conditions for holding the event.

That doesn’t matter to me at all, and I’m also calm about the situation with the coronavirus, but I won’t play in a mask and gloves, or if I need to sit in quarantine for two weeks before the start of the event. Or to play in a so-called “bubble”, when during the tournament you’re not allowed to leave the territory of the hotel or some other premises. And how, in such a situation, can you satisfy both me and the other players? If we have exactly the opposite “demands”?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 pm

We are seeing the same type of debate at amateur level too, judging from discussions in the main forum.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Tarjei
Dvorkovich also saying: "Our plan is to do Candidates in the second half of April, in Russia and likely Yekaterinburg. We will announce it closer to the end of January."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:57 pm

World championship match confirmed for 24 November to 16 December in Dubai as previously

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:06 pm

A year later than originally planned, though!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:57 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:06 pm
A year later than originally planned, though!
It will actually finish just under a year before it was due to start :wink:

Pete Doggers
FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich said: "The World Championship Match is an outstanding event, and we are proud to team up with Expo to create a breath-taking experience not only for the hardcore chess fans but also for the wider audience. Ever since the first international tournament, held in London in 1851 as a part of the Great Exhibition, chess is strongly connected to the events epitomizing human's mind progress and strive for excellence.

"This year's match will be exceptional in many ways, and I believe it is going to be an event to remember for the years to come. Chess, a game with hundreds of years of history but still enigmatic, is going to manifest its beauty in this competition of two best chess minds, and thanks to the cooperation between Expo and FIDE we shall see the entire chess world following this battle."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 pm

There is a press release.

15-2-2021

FIDE resumes the Candidates Tournament

The Candidates Tournament, the biennial 8-player event that decides who will be the Challenger for the World Chess Championship title, will resume on the 19th of April in Yekaterinburg, Russia.

This double round-robin tournament kicked off on March 16, 2020. However, it had to be abruptly stopped 11 days later when the Russian government announced the closure of air traffic with other countries, amid a rapidly escalating coronavirus pandemic.

The sudden crisis left hanging this prestigious event, one of the oldest traditions in the world of sports. Since half the rounds had already been played, this interruption created an unprecedented situation, as the regulations stipulate that the results obtained until that point must stand - rather than having the tournament re-started from scratch. When the tournament was interrupted, the French Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and the Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi were in the lead, with 4½ points after seven games. Fabiano Caruana (USA), Anish Giri (Netherlands), Wang Hao (China) and Alexander Grischuk (Russia) are in the chasing pack, all with 4½ points.

After a long wait, the challenger to Magnus Carlsen's throne will be finally known by the 28th of April.

This is the detailed schedule for the second half of the tournament, to which all players have agreed on and expressed their readiness to take part in:

19th April 2021, Round 8
20th April 2021, Round 9
21st April 2021, Round 10
(22nd April 2021, rest day)
23rd April 2021, Round 11
24th April 2021, Round 12
(25th April 2021, rest day)
26th April 2021, Round 13
27th April 2021, Round 14
28th April 2021, tie-breaks (if required)

The eyes of the entire chess world will be on this tournament, which is expected to receive massive coverage. The recent surge of interest towards chess and the special circumstances around the event guarantees the biggest number of spectators for any Candidates Tournament in chess history. 
Standings after Round 7:

Player points rating
1 Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 4½ 2767 
2 Ian Nepomniachtchi 4½ 2774
3 Fabiano Caruana 3½ 2842
4 Anish Giri 3½ 2763
5 Wang Hao 3½ 2762
6 Alexander Grischuk 3½ 2777
7 Liren Ding 2½ 2805
8 Kirill Alekseenko 2½ 2698

Pairings for round eight:

Fabiano Caruana (USA)  - Maxime Vachier-Lagr. (FRA)
Hao Wang (CHN)  - Liren Ding (CHN)
Ian Nepomniachtchi (RUS)  - Anish Giri (NED)
Kirill Alekseenko (RUS)  - Alexander Grischuk (RUS)

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm

I confess I'd forgotten all about Alekseenko.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm

I will pick Anish Giri.