Candidates Tournament 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:06 pm
I'm not sure how Radjabov can sue anybody when he withdrew? Nobody kicked him out. But the law is strange sometimes.
I presume his argument would be FIDE were reckless in going ahead in the first place? But not sure how well that would fare legally, granted.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4102
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 pm

My guess would be breach of contract (implied term that competition in which he was entitled to play and earn momey would be organised competently) - and he only withdrew in response to that breach. So recklessness from FIDE does come into it, yes; and it would really NOT be so strange!

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4102
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Had no idea that Radjabov is a lawyer, by the way. Actually I now see that I knew altogether very little about him!

NickFaulks
Posts: 5959
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Yes, and he's a lawyer himself
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never heard this before. What's the source?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5959
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09 pm
I presume his argument would be FIDE were reckless in going ahead in the first place? But not sure how well that would fare legally, granted.
Unless the case were heard in the US, where he might get $100m for his hurt feelings, I'd say no chance at all.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8285
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Yes, and he's a lawyer himself
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never heard this before. What's the source?
Radjabov in 1 of his interviews chess.com
I’m actually a lawyer myself but certainly, here I will need real professionals who are always there doing their jobs because I’m certainly more a professional chess player than a lawyer
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:35 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09 pm
I presume his argument would be FIDE were reckless in going ahead in the first place? But not sure how well that would fare legally, granted.
Unless the case were heard in the US, where he might get $100m for his hurt feelings
<citation needed>
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks
Posts: 5959
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Radjabov in 1 of his interviews chess.com
I’m actually a lawyer myself but certainly, here I will need real professionals who are always there doing their jobs because I’m certainly more a professional chess player than a lawyer
Thanks, I take that to mean that he has taken law exams, which I did not realise.

I was told a long time ago that he was exceptionally bright, much more academic than your average top GM. Despite having lost some formal education to chess, I can easily believe that he has quite deep knowledge on various subjects, and that law is one of them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:17 pm
My understanding is similar to Ian Rogers above, that Fide wants the match to be part of Expo Dubai and that therefore a postponement to 2021 is very likely.
Image
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice
Posts: 3092
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Chris Rice » Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Update during half-time...

"Chess24 tweeted (during the Steinitz Memorial) on the Candidates:

FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich "We're hopeful we can do it by September - it's 60%" On the match - "December is still possible, but it's more likely we shift it to 2021"

Chris Rice
Posts: 3092
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Grischuk: "It is clear to me that FIDE had some unspoken reason(s) to try to hold the Candidates at all costs... The only strong opinion I have is: it is MUCH better not to start the tournament at all than to start and then interrupt it"

Mick Norris
Posts: 8285
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:59 pm

chess24

Sutovsky
We plan to go ahead with the Candidates in September/October, and except for Russia, we are reviewing a couple of other possible venues that confirmed their interest to host the second half
and about the WC match
We came to an agreement that scheduling it for this year, as originally planned, is impossible. Two options are on the table now: spring 2021 and autumn 2021
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Chris Rice
Posts: 3092
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 pm

One detects the tell-tale signs of desperation from FIDE:

"Dear national federations and members of the chess community:

FIDE is making every effort to ensure that the second leg of the Candidates 2020 will be held in Autumn 2020. Over the past three months, we have intensified our contacts with chess organizers, especially from countries in the so-called "green zone". We have tried to identify potential venues where the epidemiological conditions would allow for the event to be resumed under safe conditions.

We are going to extend this consultation period for a few more days, until August 21, 12:00 CET. If you are a chess promoter and your country meets these conditions, please don't hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience, indicating your relevant experience in organizing top-level events and possible sources of funding. Given the constantly-changing situation, we would like to consider all the potential alternatives before making a decision.

Please use our official email office@fide.com for any communications on this matter."

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:35 pm

And we roll again on 1 November, say FIDE
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris
Posts: 8285
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Candidates Tournament 2020

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Interesting, we will see if it happens

Wonder what the players think
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Post Reply