Gibraltar 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
Brendan O'Gorman
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm
As David has said, I have a photo of him with aforementioned beverage, and also one of his opponent pointing gleefully to the a1 square on a demo board, but the forum has a restriction on the size/resolution of photos it is prepared to display. Which is perfectly reasonable as, otherwise, our beloved forum would be festooned with all manner of photographic nonsense. Heartfelt commiserations to David, though I'm pleased to report that his demeanour on hanging his queen was that of a true Kiplingesque gentleman who knows to treat triumph and disaster the same.
Hi John,
The software you use to process your photos should allow you to export the photo at a lower resolution thereby producing a file size suitable for uploading to Carl's site. Happy to do it myself if you send me the jpeg.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3764
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 pm

The opening Simultaneous Display on Sunday 19th January was given by Anatoly Karpov. In a tremendous tour de force, lasting over 4 hours, he emerged with a score of +25, =4, -0.

Details can be found at http://chess-results.com/tnr508591.aspx ... art=2&rd=1.

One of his opponents was called Robert Fischer. They drew.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5813
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm
John Saunders wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm
As David has said, I have a photo of him with aforementioned beverage, and also one of his opponent pointing gleefully to the a1 square on a demo board, but the forum has a restriction on the size/resolution of photos it is prepared to display. Which is perfectly reasonable as, otherwise, our beloved forum would be festooned with all manner of photographic nonsense. Heartfelt commiserations to David, though I'm pleased to report that his demeanour on hanging his queen was that of a true Kiplingesque gentleman who knows to treat triumph and disaster the same.
Hi John,
The software you use to process your photos should allow you to export the photo at a lower resolution thereby producing a file size suitable for uploading to Carl's site. Happy to do it myself if you send me the jpeg.
It is set at 2 MiB at the moment.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by John Saunders » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:15 pm
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm
John Saunders wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm
As David has said, I have a photo of him with aforementioned beverage, and also one of his opponent pointing gleefully to the a1 square on a demo board, but the forum has a restriction on the size/resolution of photos it is prepared to display. Which is perfectly reasonable as, otherwise, our beloved forum would be festooned with all manner of photographic nonsense. Heartfelt commiserations to David, though I'm pleased to report that his demeanour on hanging his queen was that of a true Kiplingesque gentleman who knows to treat triumph and disaster the same.
Hi John,
The software you use to process your photos should allow you to export the photo at a lower resolution thereby producing a file size suitable for uploading to Carl's site. Happy to do it myself if you send me the jpeg.
It is set at 2 MiB at the moment.
Yes, but I was working without my laptop today, just a mobile phone which doesn't seem to have facilities for resizing photos. I can do it easily on my laptop, of course.
Personal Twitter @johnchess / Personal Website http://www.saund.co.uk / Britbase http://www.britbase.co.uk

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by John Saunders » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Just to prove I can do it: Messrs Sedgwick & Poggio...

Image
Attachments
gib2020--2.jpg
gib2020--2.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
gib2020-.jpg
gib2020-.jpg (91.66 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Personal Twitter @johnchess / Personal Website http://www.saund.co.uk / Britbase http://www.britbase.co.uk

Nick Grey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am

I hope David's results improve. Otherwise he is likely to have a record drop in rating in a calendar year. Switch to coke zero and cut the fruit.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3764
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:16 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am
I hope David's results improve. Otherwise he is likely to have a record drop in rating in a calendar year. Switch to coke zero and cut the fruit.
Every third year I give up diet coke for Lent. This is the year, so I shall be on that particular wagon from Wednesday 26th February (inclusive) to Sunday 12th April (most definitely not inclusive).

It will be interesting to see whether my chess results get any better during that period.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 am

If it's any consolation to David, I played Chris Purry in Somerset League last night. The game was fluctuating anyway, I seemed to be winning an exchange, but he gave up queen for knight to get two dangerous passed pawns. I then blundered an exchange, and he queened one of the pawns and I forced the perpetual. A draw was probably fair as we both messed it up. Luckily, there was no live coverage, which I'm sure distracts some players.

So let's up hope for better fortune for David today.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5556
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 am

A Milner-Barry today.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5556
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 am

Black plays 20...Ne3 and is going to get mated.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3764
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Thank you to those who made further supportive comments about yesterday's mishap and to the members of my fan club who watched my game this morning.

I was on the last of the live boards, but I shall be a few boards higher tomorrow.

However, I suspect that the time is fast approaching when the focus of this thread will switch to the Masters Tournament.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:47 pm
However, I suspect that the time is fast approaching when the focus of this thread will switch to the Masters Tournament.
Actually, I notice Matthew Carr make a cameo appearance as a player this morning. I am glad the liveboards apparently worked just fine in his absence.

It is a pity that despite both being on 1/2, there will be no Sedgwick-Carr pairing.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 pm

Why focus on the Masters when our Hero is in the Amateur? I note a top ENG GM did not win but it is more fascinating at Stamford Bridge atm.

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 am

I feel I should apologise to the forum for not being able to continue photo coverage of David's progress in the morning tournament, but the powers that be here seem to expect me to concentrate my energies on play in the afternoon section, hence I am now otherwise fully engaged in writing about this. On the off-chance that some of you may be interested in post meridian activities in Gibraltar, I tentatively offer you this preview article.
Personal Twitter @johnchess / Personal Website http://www.saund.co.uk / Britbase http://www.britbase.co.uk

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Gibraltar 2020

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm

On the subject of IAs playing at Gibraltar, here's me in action yesterday:


Post Reply