2020 Chessable Masters

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: 2020 Chessable Masters

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm

I confess I have once or twice successfully won totally drawn positions on time - but never quite as ridiculously so as K/R vs K/R.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Something just happened in rd 2 of the Semis. Ding Liren - Carlsen 1-0. Not a transmission error, I think. Game score:

1 c4 e6; 2 g3 Qg5; 3 Bg2 Qxd2+; 4 Qxd2 1-0

[later] OK, sorted. Carlsen threw the game after Ding Liren lost on time in rd 1, following a disconnect, in a drawn position. Kudos Magnus!

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:58 am

That was class by Carlsen. He said later "I have immense respect for Ding as a chess player and as a human being and I thought against him this was the only correct way... I might have kicked myself if I'd lost one of these last two games, but I think it was the right thing to do!"

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:48 am

TWIC
The Chessable Masters semifinals started today with wins for Magnus Carlsen and Anish Giri but the main story was yet again Ding Liren's problems with his Internet connection. Ding has had disconnections throughout the series with his, sometimes this has led to a loss on time, as it did today in game one, in a drawn position. The rules are clear that the players are responsible for their Internet connection and will lose on time if they can't reconnect before their clock runs out. While Carlsen isn't 100% in charge of these events he obviously has a big say in the rules. Today he made it clear this regulation isn't working for him and he fixed the problem by giving up game two almost immediately it started, thus levelling the scores at 1-1. This surely indicates Carlsen wants a change for the rest of the tour. For myself I think Ding clearly isn't doing this on purpose, he probably has the best Internet connection available to him but it could be that no connection will work from China. The organisers may have suggestions to provide greater stability for him (perhaps a mobile data backup?) and should at least look into what the issue is and possible solutions as we want to see Ding play his best.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 pm

TWIC

Giri - Carlsen final starts tomorrow

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 pm
TWIC

Giri - Carlsen final starts tomorrow
They've started the trolling already.... Anish Giri on playing Magnus: "He's the favourite always and he's shown good chess in this tournament so far. He beat Fabi and Ding like they're babies, but they don't have active Twitter accounts and they don't have the social media skills I possess!"

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am

Giri getting really warmed up: "It was clear it was destined we play in the final, but I think we've never mentioned what the final destiny is. Am I to qualify to the final to lose to him or to beat him? What is the destiny, what is the purpose of this?"

IMHO It would be great if these two were allowed to troll each other during the games.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 am

It's hard to believe that they are both more than fifteen years old.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 am

Carlsen wins, just for a change.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 am

Interesting interview with Forum favourite Dubov talking about Magnus amongst other things
In general, I think that the competition is not so great in chess. If, to put it crudely, you ask me how many people in the world: a) work at least 4-6 hours a day long-term, b) take care of their physical fitness, c) have a strong-willed character, a desire to fight and win, then I’ll surprise you. There are maybe 5-6 people like that in the world – who manage to combine it all. And among those, he’s the best.