Page 1 of 3
Skilling Open
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:09 pm
by Chris Rice
The success of
The Queen's Gambit is definitely creating some great opportunities for chess. The Play Magnus Group has purchased the rights for the Champions Chess Tour and the online Skilling Open due to start on November 22 will be covered live on Eurosport. Chess24
article
The players announced so far for the 16-player Skilling Open are:
1. Ding Liren
2. Levon Aronian
3. Teimour Radjabov
4. David Anton
5. Sergey Karjakin
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:01 pm
by Roger de Coverly
I see the 650 million fantasy of Kirsan and Agon is still going strong.
From the link
Trojan Paillot, VP Rights Acquisitions and Distribution at Eurosport, said:
Chess has a great potential to attract a dedicated, global audience and Eurosport has a proven track record in its ability to increase awareness of a sport and establish a solid platform for rights holders to grow their fanbase and attraction towards new territories. Play Magnus Group is known for innovating and modernising a game played by over 650 million people globally. Eurosport will facilitate and fasten the development of the game thanks to a combined linear and digital approach, bringing Chess to the widest number of people through our broadcast and distribution operations.
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:44 am
by Chris Rice
The Eurosport site with a little more
info. Nice to see this:
"Chess will take its place alongside other premium sporting events on Eurosport for viewers in more than 60 markets across Europe* and Asia, expanding the reach of the professional game to millions."
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 am
by Kevin Thurlow
"I see the 650 million fantasy of Kirsan and Agon is still going strong."
It's grown by 50 million hasn't it? Still, there have been reports of people learning chess during lockdown...
I seem to remember Eurosport broadcasting chess programmes before? Those Intel events perhaps? They have been good for minority sports, e.g. rodeo.
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:16 am
by Chris Rice
How the tournament is going to work:
More detail in this Chess24
article
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:49 am
by Mick Norris
Chris Rice wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:09 pm
The players announced so far for the 16-player Skilling Open are:
1. Ding Liren
2. Levon Aronian
3. Teimour Radjabov
4. David Anton
5. Sergey Karjakin
6. Liem Quang Le
7. Wesley So
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 pm
by Chris Rice
Mick Norris wrote: ↑Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:49 am
Chris Rice wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:09 pm
The players announced so far for the 16-player Skilling Open are:
1. Ding Liren
2. Levon Aronian
3. Teimour Radjabov
4. David Anton
5. Sergey Karjakin
6. Liem Quang Le
7. Wesley So
Player 8

Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm
by Mick Norris
Did Svidler win a qualifier for this, or am I hallucinating?
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 pm
by Chris Rice
Mick Norris wrote: ↑Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Did Svidler win a qualifier for this, or am I hallucinating?
I can't see anything on the Champions Chess Tour
site regarding Svidler but I thought I was hallucinating when I scrolled to the bottom and saw the VIP Package as 4999 euros and then saw the asterix underneath and realised that was an EarlyBird offer from the "normal" price of 7499 euros!
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:05 pm
by Mick Norris
9. Jan-Krzysztof Duda
10. Vidit Gujrathi
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:36 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Are they drip-feeding the names of the participants the way they do with "Strictly Come Dancing" and "I'm a Nonentity Get Me Out of Here"?
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:50 pm
by David Sedgwick
Mick Norris wrote: ↑Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Did Svidler win a qualifier for this, or am I hallucinating?
I think that he won a qualifier for a Tour place, rather than for this particular event. I think that each tournament will comprise a mixture of full Tour participants and wildcards.
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 pm
by Mick Norris
Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:36 pm
Are they drip-feeding the names of the participants the way they do with "Strictly Come Dancing" and "I'm a Nonentity Get Me Out of Here"?
Yes
11. MVL
12. Carlsen confirmed as playing; David Howell as commentating
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm
by Chris Rice
Drip, drip, drip....Ian Nepomniachtchi is the 13th player to be confirmed.
Re: Skilling Open
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:12 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
"Drip, drip, drip....Ian Nepomniachtchi is the 13th player to be confirmed."
And I've heard of all of them...