European Chess Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
Nick Thomas

Re: European Chess Championship

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

I wonder why Conquest didn't play the obvious 29 Bxh6 yesterday?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 pm

And I wonder what happened to him today. He is no longer having a stellar event, though he has - at the least - justified his inclusion in the team this time.

Mmmm... this is food for thought for those who still think that with a full team we would be a top ten side. There are so many lesser teams who can give us a close match, even Norway when missing their two most famous players. Is that now three times that we have failed to beat Norway in the last three years?

It is odd for me to watch the composition of these teams. I remember so many names from an u-21 event for Europeans organised in Denmark that I once played, in 1992. I did very well, finishing 2nd =, but that result seems even better now that the majority of the rest of the field appear to have become IMs or GMs and to have played for their country! Frode Elsness was one of many who came nowhere in that tournament (alongside Jacob Aagaard) but who seems to have struck for Norway today. :shock:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:I wonder why Conquest didn't play the obvious 29 Bxh6 yesterday?
I saw that at the time! But I thought that since none of the titled players here noticed it (despite talking about that very game at the time) that I must be missing something too... I remember thinking he could swap rooks (maybe), and it would get complicated somehow. :?: I can't find the game now, though.

I would have played it though.

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Well, as one might expect, Iceland's team certainly seems to have been hit by the recession. Their present line up hardly denotes their famed "highest number of GMs per capita" status .... (perhaps they don't use words like "capita" anymore...)
Oh, I think Iceland's chess recession dates much further back than the "perfect financial storm" they've been experiencing recently. Many of their GMs have been professionally semi-retired for some time now. However, the all-IM lineup (and no reserve) here is most likely an economic issue for the Icelandic federation. They probably can't afford a stronger squad. The smaller federations in northern Europe are financially not very strong. Sweden decided not to send any teams at all, and Norway I believe, are participating in the ETC for the first time. They normally don't feel they can afford it.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 pm

If it is too much of a financial burden for the national federations, why not award the title of European Team Champions to the highest placed European team in the Olympiad? That way, the nations should be able to afford to send their full-strength team to the Olympiad.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Its nice to have it once a year
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:If it is too much of a financial burden for the national federations, why not award the title of European Team Champions to the highest placed European team in the Olympiad? That way, the nations should be able to afford to send their full-strength team to the Olympiad.
That's what most of the smaller federations do anyway. They concentrate on the olympiads. But I don't see any reason why the limited budgets of smaller federations should stop the European federation from organizing a team championship. Participation is optional after all.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 pm

The battle for the gold medals looks very tight. Russia lead Spain 2-1 but Alekseev looks utterly lost against Salgado, so that will probably be 2-2. Azerbaijan-Netherlands is 1½-1½ but Gashimov is better against Stellwagen and might be able to steer the Azerbaijan team to gold.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Looks promising for Gashimov. Isn't the e-pawn doomed in the long run?

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Sorry Jonathan R, but it looks like Adams managed to avoid fulfilling your prophecy. :)

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 pm

England placed above France. That's a good result in my book !!
Chess Amateur.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:10 pm

It looks like Gashimov has won, so Azerbaijan are the champions!

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Official - Azerbaijan are the Champions!

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Luke has won, so England finishes with an impressibe 3.5 - 0.5 victory. This leaves the team in a respectable 14th, four places above its seeding. :)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Impressive last round yes (and I am pleased for Adams....)