Manx Liberty Masters

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

Manx Liberty Masters

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm

http://chess-results.com/tnr579365.aspx ... turdet=YES

This is the first event organised by the Isle of Man under their new status as an Affiliated Organisation of FIDE.

Well done to Dietmar Kolbus for putting the tournament on. I hope that it is a success for all concerned.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Manx Liberty Masters

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:01 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm
http://chess-results.com/tnr579365.aspx ... turdet=YES

This is the first event organised by the Isle of Man under their new status as an Affiliated Organisation of FIDE.

Well done to Dietmar Kolbus for putting the tournament on. I hope that it is a success for all concerned.
There's certainly plenty of Manx Liberty 4NCL players in that line up!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:14 pm

By my calculations, the GM norm target is 5 for Kolbus and 5½ for the other four IMs.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Really good to see an event like this happening, so please don't take the following the wrong way. (Maybe the event is a Manx Liberty training camp?)

The slightly controversial question I had was whether it is common for the organiser to play in an event like this (the usual reason against is that the organiser is too busy running around organising to play, though I am sure there are some relatively famous examples from chess history)? Best of luck to Kolbus (the lowest-rated player in the field). Is he under-rated?

It is good to see an all-titled field. Of the 5 IMs, you would hope one or more would give it a good shot at getting to 5½ (or 5 for Kolbus). Are any of them up-and-coming? e.g. The highest-rated IM is Csonka who is about 24. Gavrilescu is also relatively young at only 18 or so, so maybe those two have the best chance if you subscribe to the theory that once you reach 30 or so, you are past it over the chessboard... :wink:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Organizer-Player is a less common combined role than Organizer-Arbiter, but it happens.

All-titled fields are rather more common; see the recent Northumbria and Wood Green events. (And also Muswell Hill, although it's arguable whether one should count CM in this context.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 pm
The slightly controversial question I had was whether it is common for the organiser to play in an event like this (the usual reason against is that the organiser is too busy running around organising to play, though I am sure there are some relatively famous examples from chess history)?
Matthew Carr would count as an experienced arbiter these days, so presumably he's doing the tournament leg work and if they have live coverage keeping the DGT boards under control.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 pm
Really good to see an event like this happening, so please don't take the following the wrong way. (Maybe the event is a Manx Liberty training camp?)

The slightly controversial question I had was whether it is common for the organiser to play in an event like this (the usual reason against is that the organiser is too busy running around organising to play, though I am sure there are some relatively famous examples from chess history)? Best of luck to Kolbus (the lowest-rated player in the field). Is he under-rated?
I wondered if it was intentional or if he was a late replacement. I was certainly very happy not to have been pressed into action in my Wood Green event :D

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 pm

I've lost count of the number of events I've arbited where the organiser has also been a player.
With All-play-alls this has been a small number though the organiser of some of those appeared at the beginning to welcome everyone and then returned for the end with a couple of visits in between so they may as well have been a player.

But certainly for congresses it is quite common to have an organiser/player but usually taking a bye in the first round. Indeed I've known people to say that they will only organise the event on the condition that they can play.

I've also been at events where I wished the organiser was a player. At least then I would have had a couple of hours each round without having to tell him to keep quiet!!!!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 pm

I've also been at events where I wished the organiser was a player. At least then I would have had a couple of hours each round without having to tell him to keep quiet!!!!
:lol:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:22 pm

McShane wins the tournament with an unbeaten 6½/9; Gavrilescu gets 5½ and a GM norm.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:14 pm
By my calculations, the GM norm target is 5 for Kolbus and 5½ for the other four IMs.
I have belatedly checked your calculations and I concur.
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:22 pm
McShane wins the tournament with an unbeaten 6½/9; Gavrilescu gets 5½ and a GM norm.
Congratulations to both of them. I am pleased to see a GM norm being obtained in the first tournament under the auspices of a new FIDE affiliate.

Congratulations also to Kolbus on obtaining an International Organiser norm.