European Team Chess Championship 2021

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alistair Campbell

Re: European Team Chess Championship 2021

Post by Alistair Campbell » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:37 pm

A.Kluckova wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:36 pm
Do you think this please?

1.residency 0-12 months
2.residency 13 and more months - reduced transfer fees

Residency 0 - 12 months still means residency . If you are resident 20 days, it means 0 months . Or am l wrong?

"The length of residency is the period of time prior to the notification date that the player resides in or became citizen of the country of the new Federation. In order to determine the length of residency, the dates of issue of the following documents can be taken into account"

You can not have 0 days residency for the registration under the federation...
I’m not entirely sure what point is being made here, other than it is not clear into which band one falls if one has between 12 and 13 months’ residency.

As far as I can see FIDE requires (quite reasonably, in my view) some evidence of commitment from a transferring player to their new federation.

This commitment could be demonstrated by residency, or by paying a fee. (The latter may be less reasonable).

There seems to be a waiting period of at least 1 year (unless one has represented one’s previous federation in a FIDE event the last 5 years, in which case the waiting period is 2 years). Presumably this waiting period starts when FIDE gets the initial transfer request, unless there is evidence to the contrary. If someone stumps up the cash (the amount varies depending on how good a player one is, and how much waiting period one wants waived) then one is transferred right away.

There is also a notification fee (presumably to cover the cost of admin) and a compensation fee, payable from the new federation to the old federation (subject to mutual agreement) to reflect the possibility that the old federation has spent loads of money developing the player only for them to be poached by the new fed.

British Citizenship is quite complex, but there is no such thing as English citizenship. Whether this means that a British Citizen can register for any of the home nations without any residence qualification (or indeed, transfer from one to the other) I don’t know.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 pm

"British Citizenship is quite complex, but there is no such thing as English citizenship. Whether this means that a British Citizen can register for any of the home nations without any residence qualification (or indeed, transfer from one to the other) I don’t know."

That has been the case with "other" sports. Footballers and rugby players have got a British passport and suddenly found a suitable grandparent of the appropriate nationality to play for their adopted country.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 pm
"British Citizenship is quite complex, but there is no such thing as English citizenship. Whether this means that a British Citizen can register for any of the home nations without any residence qualification (or indeed, transfer from one to the other) I don’t know."

That has been the case with "other" sports. Footballers and rugby players have got a British passport and suddenly found a suitable grandparent of the appropriate nationality to play for their adopted country.
I was thinking of Jamaican born John Barnes, who allegedly claimed that if Scotland had asked first he would have played for Scotland. I think he had British Citizenship, but no sufficiently close relatives of British birth. I think that lack would have ruled him ineligible under later rules, but he may even later have qualified under the education rule. I believe that the home nations have stricter criteria for football eligibility than that required by FIFA.