Wijk aan Zee 84th Tata Steel 2022 14 to 30 Jan

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: Wijk aan Zee 84th Tata Steel 2022 14 to 30 Jan

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Esipenko should really have beaten Shankland, but drew. This leaves just the Disaster of the Day contender, an award which seemed likely to go to Caruana for blowing a won position against Duda but will probably go to Duda for blowing a drawn position against Caruana. (That said, the apparently saving alternative to his red-marked move 42 is not at all straightforward.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:04 pm
Stupid? Possibly.

I would also refuse to wear a face mask on a point of principle.
He would presumably have turned down the invitation had masks been stipulated in advance. It is appalling that the organisers believe they can change the rules at will during the tournament.

Unless the regulations say that they can, of course. I haven't checked.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 am

I read on a Max Illingworth thread on Facebook that Praggnanandhaa's coach had tested positive earlier in the tournament and he subsequently wore a mask and his game was played separate to the main group.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:38 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 am
I read on a Max Illingworth thread on Facebook that Praggnanandhaa's coach had tested positive earlier in the tournament and he subsequently wore a mask and his game was played separate to the main group.
If one player was forced to wear a mask and the other wasn't, then I'm not sure that the game should be rated.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 am

I don't want to jump to conclusions without seeing the rules, but it would be odd, and an omission, if the eventuality of one of the players' team testing positive were not covered.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 am

All I could see on the website was the FAQs
All possible precautions and measures are taken to ensure a COVID-19 safe event for players, community and staff. All measures will be (and remain) in line with the then ruling guidelines from national and local health & safety authorities.
Chess24 have
Round 7 got off to a strange start as Anish Giri played 1.d4 but his opponent Daniil Dubov didn’t appear at the board, as his clock ticked past 15 minutes, then half an hour. What was up? Well, Jan Gustafsson on our broadcast got the scoop after texting his fellow Magnus Carlsen second, “You up?”

Daniil replied by explaining that after someone in his circle tested positive for COVID he was being asked to play in a mask, despite having tested negative himself. He felt it contradicted the tournament regulations that had foreseen a testing regime but no mask requirement during games.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:24 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 am
All possible precautions and measures are taken to ensure a COVID-19 safe event for players, community and staff. All measures will be (and remain) in line with the then ruling guidelines from national and local health & safety authorities.
There may be more details on the individual Player Agreements, which I would not expect to be made public.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:35 am

Whilst checking a youtube video link I heard Fiona comment that the game was not played as "Dubov still awaiting the result of his PCR test"

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:24 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 am
There may be more details on the individual Player Agreements, which I would not expect to be made public.
There's a statement from the organiser's in the chess.com report:
Robert Moens (Tata Steel Communications & Public Affairs) commented to Chess.com: "This specific situation wasn't discussed beforehand, no. However, the players' contract does include a clause that the organizers can take the necessary measures in case unexpected situations regarding Covid arise. Because the tournament doctor deemed it unwise for Dubov to play without a face mask, we as organizers made this request to Dubov, who fully understood our decision but decided not to play the game out of principle. We did not consider postponing the game because Dubov could have played today, albeit with a face mask. It was his decision not to play."
As Justin has already said, it seems surprising that this eventuality would be unexpected. I'd class it as something that was quite likely to happen.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 am

Incidentally, what is Dubov proposing to do today?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:17 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 am
Incidentally, what is Dubov proposing to do today?
I imagine that he'll have the result of his PCR test and be playing maskless, or if positive, out for the rest of the event. Although that is just speculation on my part.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:28 am

Yes, that was a stupid question on my part. (No personal experience of these things - in fact by entire conicidence, the first time anybody has had a test in my household, a negative one for the record, was actually this morning.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am

I should imagine that the arbiters are less than happy with the organisers for covering everything with the vague "However, the players' contract does include a clause that the organizers can take the necessary measures in case unexpected situations regarding Covid arise". Sure, a fallback of this nature might be useful, but only as a fallback - some effort to address the more predictable problems precisely would have reduced the risk of their having to take responsibility for the sort of decisions they were required to make yesterday.

FWIW I still think they got it right. When the rules are so vague in the first place, with no real effort to address the so-called "expected" situations, the word "unexpected" can be said to mean almost any event at all which seems to increase the risk of transmission and to call for a decision.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:56 am

Also it would plausibly be helpful if, since these situations cold be anticipated, if players asked about them in advance. "What happens if I fail a test? What happens if my second does?" or whatever.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:27 pm

"I should imagine that the arbiters are less than happy with the organisers for covering everything with the vague "However, the players' contract does include a clause that the organizers can take the necessary measures in case unexpected situations regarding Covid arise"."

Yes - it's reasonable for the contract to say that, to cover something weird, like an unexpected pandemic, or meteor strike, or train delays due to badger in signal box, but a case of covid is not really surprising.