2022 Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 2022 Sinquefield Cup

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:19 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:16 am
I've not time to listen to it this morning (I'll try later) but does he say anything about when he was live-streaming and chess.com kicked him out - or is that what's being referred to when he talks about being sixteen?
It was all a bit streamofconsciousness, no good alternative to listening to it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:21 am

JustinHorton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:51 am
Subsequent to his OTB game against Magnus he received an e-mail from chess.com uninviting him from the Global chess championship and removing all trace of him from chess.com including his ability to log in to his account.
Now there is something we could use a journalist asking a direct question about.

I've not time to listen to it this morning (I'll try later) but does he say anything about when he was live-streaming and chess.com kicked him out - or is that what's being referred to when he talks about being sixteen?
That was what's being referred to when he was sixteen yes. I couldn't quite follow what specifically led to chess.com sanctioning him. He mentioned something about unrated games but his stance was clear that the only time he had cheated was online when he was 12.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 am

In the absence of a statement by Magnus Carlsen to explain his withdrawal, I wonder if his action might be considered a cheating accusation and investigated as such by FIDE per their Anti-cheating Regulations?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:25 am

Angus French wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 am
In the absence of a statement by Magnus Carlsen to explain his withdrawal, I wonder if his action might be considered a cheating accusation and investigated as such by FIDE per their anti-cheating regulations?
Absolutely no doubt about it, in my view and as I have said before.

The trouble is that the victim always seems to conclude that it isn't worth the considerable trouble and unpleasantness. I have little doubt that Niemann, who wants to do nothing other than play and study chess, will feel that way.

In my opinion the GCT should report Carlsen for his behaviour. We shall see whether they are willing to upset the biggest name in chess.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:29 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:21 am
JustinHorton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Subsequent to his OTB game against Magnus he received an e-mail from chess.com uninviting him from the Global chess championship and removing all trace of him from chess.com including his ability to log in to his account.
Now there is something we could use a journalist asking a direct question about.

That was what's being referred to when he was sixteen yes. I couldn't quite follow what specifically led to chess.com sanctioning him. He mentioned something about unrated games but his stance was clear that the only time he had cheated was online when he was 12.
I understood the “unrated” to be a mis-speak (understandable as he was clearly very emotional) when he meant “non-money”, as he later said he wanted to get the rating up to play stronger players.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:41 am

JustinHorton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Of course the guy "widely regarded as the world's best chess journalist" works directly for chess com. Still, anybody else fancy stepping up?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:44 am

Paul Heaton wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:29 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:21 am
JustinHorton wrote:

I understood the “unrated” to be a mis-speak (understandable as he was clearly very emotional) when he meant “non-money”, as he later said he wanted to get the rating up to play stronger players.
Yes, that makes sense.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:55 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:41 am

Of course the guy "widely regarded as the world's best chess journalist" works directly for chess com. Still, anybody else fancy stepping up?
If you are referring to Dirk jan ten Guezendam he emphatically does not work directly for chess.com. Firstly this takeover has not completed, and even if it had New in Chess would be a subsidiary of chess.com. So no direct employee.

Secondly, I’d be amazed if Dirk jan stuck around if the integrity of New in Chess magazine was compromised.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am

I assume the reference was to Peter Doggers?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:04 am

Yes, it was in quote marks.

(I quite like Peter, though the phrase struck me as hyperbole. I am not a huge admirer of Dirk.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 am

Definitely thought yesterday’s interview with Niemann was worth watching (and it was good that they gave him time and space to speak).

I found the cheating bit slightly hard to follow but I think it was:
OTB: never
Online for money: one Titled Tuesday aged 12
Online casual: when aged 16 to increase his rating to allow him to play better players / boost his streaming profile

Does that sound right to others?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:09 am

One wonders how this will pan out.

Carlsen boycotting any tournament Niemann is in.
An apology from Carlsen to the organisers.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:34 am

Matt Fletcher wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 am
Definitely thought yesterday’s interview with Niemann was worth watching (and it was good that they gave him time and space to speak).

I found the cheating bit slightly hard to follow but I think it was:
OTB: never
Online for money: one Titled Tuesday aged 12
Online casual: when aged 16 to increase his rating to allow him to play better players / boost his streaming profile

Does that sound right to others?
Yes, I think so.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:35 am

My understanding o what he said is:

1. He has nver cheated in an OTB game

2. He cheated in an online tournament when he was 12, getting advice from a friend and (possibly) an engine

3. When he was 16 he left the parental home and lived in a (New York) apartment. He supported himself by streaming his games and cheated then to increase his rating and get games against stronger players. He never cheated in an online tournament or when money was at stake. This is why chess.com banned him at the time. He now regards these actions as being an enormous mistake and is deeply ashamed of them.

He seems genuine to me, although (I must admit) that after viewing his earlier interviews I concluded that he was a precocious git, quite capable of cheating. I believe him now.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:36 am

Post duplicated when (unsuccessfully) trying to correct spelling error.