2024 Candidates qualification revised process

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: 2024 Candidates qualification revised process

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:32 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:59 pm
All sorts of things one can say about this business, including that Rouen was really a pretty soft target - you would think that very many players in the world top 100 would have made 5/5 against the weaker five of Firouzja's opponents, so it was really a question of beating Kamsky. On which note, has anyone asked what he - Kamsky - was doing in Rouen? (Has he played there before? Was he invited by the organisers?).

Not that I can get too excited about this, after all the multitude of irregularities over the years - and few can doubt that the Candidates' will be considerably more interesting with Firouzja instead of So.
Doesn't Kamsky live in France?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:10 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Not that I can get too excited about this, after all the multitude of irregularities over the years - and few can doubt that the Candidates' will be considerably more interesting with Firouzja instead of So.
Its arguably sharp practice, but equally arguably its totally within the rules so quite legitimate.

And as others have already asked, why didn't So himself make more of an effort? I'm sure he could have done.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:47 pm

Kamsky plays for Chartres with Firouzja according to something I read
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:59 pm

Kamsky played in the Chartres European Cup Team earlier this year.

It seems likely some players were encouraged to play at Rouen to ensure it was strong enough for Firouja to gain enough rating. But if that was all that was done, I'm ok with it for the same reasons as Jonathan.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:54 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:35 pm
but may well be with Chartres depending if effective immediately can apply to an event that's already finished
Matches have to be manually approved for rating, and this approval is not given if their purpose looks as though it be rating manipulation. The Firouzja matches were never manually approved, because of the subterfuge of registering them as two player DRRs, so the question is not whether they will be disapproved retrospectively but whether they will be approved retrospectively.

I am no longer in charge of these decisions but Loz is right in his post above, I would not have been sympathetic.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:58 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
and few can doubt that the Candidates' will be considerably more interesting with Firouzja instead of So.
I doubt that. Sadly, I think that Firouzja is following Radjabov's path as a hugely talented played who has lost enthusiasm and is now just going through the motions.

Anyway, he won't be playing, will he?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:11 pm

Won't he? Why not? Not obvious what you are referring to.

Surely it is to soon to compare him with Radjabov. Time will tell on that score.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:54 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:35 pm
but may well be with Chartres depending if effective immediately can apply to an event that's already finished
Matches have to be manually approved for rating, and this approval is not given if their purpose looks as though it be rating manipulation. The Firouzja matches were never manually approved, because of the subterfuge of registering them as two player DRRs, so the question is not whether they will be disapproved retrospectively but whether they will be approved retrospectively.

I am no longer in charge of these decisions but Loz is right in his post above, I would not have been sympathetic.
It all sounds very subjective. If, instead of the 3 two-player double-round all-play-alls, the event had been organised as a single 4-player double-round all-play-all (in other words the other three players played superfluous games amongst themselves when they were not paired against Fitouzja), would that have satisfied criteria to be rated? Or, if the matches had been played 9 months ago, when their purpose would not have been so obvious, but the rating points could still be banked, would that have been ok, or maybe gone under the radar?
As with others, I am not terribly concerned, and it puts decision makers in a difficult position, but I do think sporting decisions need to be completely objective.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:40 pm

I thought that Firouja's result at Rouen meant he got the rating spot even if the matches not rated?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:18 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:40 pm
I thought that Firouja's result at Rouen meant he got the rating spot even if the matches not rated?
Correct. Alireza 2759 and Wesley 2757 on the January list (which appeared moments ago).

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:41 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:18 pm

Correct. Alireza 2759 and Wesley 2757 on the January list (which appeared moments ago).
With the matches not rated. Meaning the win vs Kamsky was crucial to leapfrogging So, if the alternative path was beating a 2200-2300 player

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:21 pm

Firouzja and Gukesh get the last 2 spots then

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:42 pm

FIDE announce on Twitter that the Candidates line ups are complete. https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1 ... 7901050165

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:10 pm

Ian Nepomniachtchi (World Championship match runner-up)
Magnus Carlsen (#FIDEWorldCup winner)
Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu (#FIDEWorldCup runner-up)
Fabiano Caruana (#FIDEWorldCup up third place)
Vidit Gujrathi (#FIDEGrandSwiss winner)
Hikaru Nakamura (#FIDEGrandSwiss runner-up)
Alireza Firouzja (Best by #FIDErating)
Gukesh Dommaraju (#FIDECircuit winner)
Carlsen won't play, will he?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:23 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:10 pm
Ian Nepomniachtchi (World Championship match runner-up)
Magnus Carlsen (#FIDEWorldCup winner)
Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu (#FIDEWorldCup runner-up)
Fabiano Caruana (#FIDEWorldCup up third place)
Vidit Gujrathi (#FIDEGrandSwiss winner)
Hikaru Nakamura (#FIDEGrandSwiss runner-up)
Alireza Firouzja (Best by #FIDErating)
Gukesh Dommaraju (#FIDECircuit winner)
Carlsen won't play, will he?
https://twitter.com/MagnusCarlsen/statu ... yifaFeez3Y