Qatar Masters

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Qatar Masters

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:32 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:59 am
I buy my watches (they last a year or two) for less than £10 on Amazon. It's obviously an electronic device but doesn't act as a device for communication. Should I continue to wear it in tournaments?
Unless you are competing in an official FIDE/ECU event I doubt it will be an issue.

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:54 am

Are we not reaching a stage of cheating paranoia now? My watch was a gift from my father for my 18th (so 23 years ago). It's a cheap watch but it means something to me. It long pre-dates mobile internet technology. I don't dispute the need to not have phones and such but surely an old analogue watch can clearly be seen to not be an issue. Also why focus on a visible watch when apparently you can cheat with much less visible anal beads.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:19 pm

Peter Ackley wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:54 am
Are we not reaching a stage of cheating paranoia now? My watch was a gift from my father for my 18th (so 23 years ago). It's a cheap watch but it means something to me. It long pre-dates mobile internet technology. I don't dispute the need to not have phones and such but surely an old analogue watch can clearly be seen to not be an issue. Also why focus on a visible watch when apparently you can cheat with much less visible anal beads.
I suspect the response might be that it's easier to ban all watches than to have check every one, every day.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:36 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:19 pm

I suspect the response might be that it's easier to ban all watches than to have check every one, every day.
Penrhaps, but it's a case of dealing with the important risks. Put in a delay on live coverage and ban spectators from having active mobile phones. That negates the ability of a smart watch to receive useful communication. In any event if spectators know good moves they can communicate them to players via the Feller method. No electronics needed on the player.

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:47 pm

I see your point, Lawrence, but if we get so paranoid about the possibility of cheating then we're going to end up checking every person, every day. Not just before the round but every time they go out of an arbiter's sight. Getting in to a chess tournament will be like going through an airport. Woe betide the player who needs a "number 2" during a blitz finish - that's a loss on time for sure.

And also if we use that logic smart glasses already exist. Surely we should just ban all spectacles rather than having to check each pair, every day...

What next? Shoes are good hiding places - maybe all players play barefoot?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:55 pm

It's another circus for the media. Reddit have a video up showing all the watch touching. Vid clips taped together can make anything look odd. I very much doubt there is anything in it. However, if things like this are putting you off your game, see a controller.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... ?rdt=52467

I suppose it brings a whole new meaning to losing on time.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:06 pm

Peter Ackley wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:47 pm
I see your point, Lawrence, but if we get so paranoid about the possibility of cheating then we're going to end up checking every person, every day. Not just before the round but every time they go out of an arbiter's sight. Getting in to a chess tournament will be like going through an airport. Woe betide the player who needs a "number 2" during a blitz finish - that's a loss on time for sure.

And also if we use that logic smart glasses already exist. Surely we should just ban all spectacles rather than having to check each pair, every day...

What next? Shoes are good hiding places - maybe all players play barefoot?
Well, happily it won't for most events. Anyone wanting to check watches etc in the Yorkshire league, or even most of the 4NCL, is a bit fanatical! But if you're going to have a chunk of the worlds top 10 and an 100k prize fund then you're a hugely tempting target and really should be taking it more seriously than they are :)

Although I could imagine FIDE just adopting a generalised ban for watches. Especially if they really do upset the top players to that sort of extent - if they worry about them then they'll be banished before the top players are.

As for the rest, who knows? Have to agree that at this point there's almost nothing you can do vs a really determined/smart cheater, happily they seem to be very rare. Mostly you're just trying to raise the cost high enough to eliminate the more casual ones.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:06 pm

I was asked to remove my hearing aids at a tournament earlier this year.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm
Magnus Carlson on Twitter wrote:1/2 I was completely crushed in my game today. This is not to accuse my opponent of anything, who played an amazing game and deserved to win, but honestly, as soon as I saw my opponent was wearing a watch early in the game, I lost my ability to concentrate.

2/2 I obviously take responsibility for my inability to deal with those thoughts properly, but it’s also incredibly frustrating to see organisers still not taking anti-cheating seriously at all (no transmission delay, spectators walking around the playing hall with smartphones)
Of course Saint Magnus could never lose a game unless he were distracted by something, for instance that his opponent was wearing a watch.

You were beaten fair and square, get used to it you pathetic little s..t.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Mind you, Carlsen managed not to be the worst loser at this event.

https://twitter.com/askavrukh/status/17 ... 3091858790

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:25 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:06 pm
I was asked to remove my hearing aids at a tournament earlier this year.
Did you assert your right to not remove them?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:33 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07 pm
Both poor, not sure which is worse.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:42 pm

Nick, you seem slightly exercised about Magnus. Is this just a personal affront you feel, or is it that you think he should be a better role model and should observe certain standards (which you may or may not hold yourself to, not being as public a figure as Carlsen is)?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:22 pm

Anyone playing Magnus could put one of these by the board...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Backyar ... r=8-7&th=1

(I have no connection with the seller)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:49 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07 pm

https://twitter.com/askavrukh/status/17 ... 3091858790
https://twitter.com/PiotrNguyen/status/ ... 33/photo/1