Isle of Man in the Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Isle of Man in the Olympiad

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:25 pm

It would appear the British Isles have gained a seventh team in the Olympiad.

From https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-gran ... sle-of-man
Alan Ormsby reported by ChessBase wrote: He said that the Isle of Man is now an affiliate member of FIDE and, as such, has a right to field a team at the upcoming chess Olympiad in Budapest in 2024, a goal achieved after 30 years of hard work.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Isle of Man in the Olympiad

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:32 pm

Excellent news, maybe this will see a few other "non-national" entities do likewise (I know Greenland has been trying to get in)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 am

Guernsey have been in it a few times if memory serves me correctly.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:21 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 am
Guernsey have been in it a few times if memory serves me correctly.
Jersey too, including a women's team for the first time in 2022.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:20 pm

For a while Jersey and Guernsey sent a combined team, but went their separate ways after a few Olympiads.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:40 pm

The FIDE rule on this used to be that you had to be a member Federation in order to send a team to the Olympiad. After Jersey and Guernsey (and historically Wales, Scotland and Bermuda) had become members, they made a rule that said the country in question had to have both United Nations membership and a national Olympic committee. They've now weakened it that it's "or" rather than "and" and also introduced a category of associate membership for territories such as the Isle of Man which cannot become UN members or have their own Olympic teams.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:40 pm
The FIDE rule on this used to be that you had to be a member Federation in order to send a team to the Olympiad. After Jersey and Guernsey (and historically Wales, Scotland and Bermuda) had become members, they made a rule that said the country in question had to have both United Nations membership and a national Olympic committee. They've now weakened it that it's "or" rather than "and" and also introduced a category of associate membership for territories such as the Isle of Man which cannot become UN members or have their own Olympic teams.
There were also Hong Kong and Macau, plus Puerto Rico and various non-sovereign Caribbean territories.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:17 pm

"For a while Jersey and Guernsey sent a combined team, but went their separate ways after a few Olympiads."

It wasn't an entirely happy time. When six players went, the captain (from Jersey) said, "I have selected my five Jersey players, who is your one?" So the agreement to have a joint team was terminated. Guernsey played in the next Olympiad as they contacted FIDE and asked to be members in their own right, (which was agreed) but Jersey had their entry refused, as they had not contacted FIDE to ask to be members in their own right...

However, there has subsequently been a CI team in 4NCL so relations are more cordial now.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:07 am

The British Isles should have more teams in the Olympiad, what about Anglesey or Canvey Island?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:40 pm
introduced a category of associate membership for territories such as the Isle of Man which cannot become UN members or have their own Olympic teams.
I'm pretty sure that the Isle of Man could seek full independence and UN membership if that was the wish of its population.

I think these rules are to accommodate self-governing dependent territories, e.g. Greenland which has been quoted above.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:05 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:07 am
The British Isles should have more teams in the Olympiad, what about Anglesey or Canvey Island?
Totally unserious post.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:52 pm

Humorous is a better word.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:13 pm

Humour is a very subjective thing.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:14 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:17 pm
"For a while Jersey and Guernsey sent a combined team, but went their separate ways after a few Olympiads."

It wasn't an entirely happy time. When six players went, the captain (from Jersey) said, "I have selected my five Jersey players, who is your one?" So the agreement to have a joint team was terminated. Guernsey played in the next Olympiad as they contacted FIDE and asked to be members in their own right, (which was agreed) but Jersey had their entry refused, as they had not contacted FIDE to ask to be members in their own right...

However, there has subsequently been a CI team in 4NCL so relations are more cordial now.
Interesting bit of Guernsey and Jersey history there!

And both 'nations' are competing in the European Small Nations Team Championships right now:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2023/7/1/1

Be honest, who really knew that was a thing? :wink:

The Small Nations are:

Andorra
Faroe Islands
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Cyprus
Liechtenstein
San Marino
Jersey
Guernsey

Sadly, our heroes prop up the foot of the table at the moment.

No Isle of Man, yet!

Apparently it is the 8th time this event has taken place:

https://www.europechess.org/european-sm ... in-jersey/

I'll be honest and say this is the first time I had heard of it.