London Chess Classic 2010 7-15 December

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

London Chess Classic 2010 7-15 December

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 am

Please see the link below regarding the 2010 London Chess Classic:

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/e ... assic-2010

Classic (8 players 7 Rds SRR Indiv TC:120m:60m:15m+30spm(61))

FIDE Open (9 Rds Swiss Indiv TC:120m+30m)
Classic (8 players 7 Rds SRR Indiv TC: 120m:60m:15m+30spm(61))
2nd London Chess Classic (ENG), 7-15 xii 2010. Prelim Cat IXX (2718.75). Venue: Olympia Conference Centre.

Name g Nat May Elo DofB

Carlsen, Magnus g NOR 2813 1990
Kramnik, Vladimir g RUS 2790 1975
Anand, Viswanathan g IND 2789 1969
Nakamura, Hikaru g USA 2733 1987
Adams, Michael g ENG 2697 1971
Short, Nigel D g ENG 2685 1965
McShane, Luke J g ENG 2623 1984
Howell, David W L g ENG 2620 1990

Andrew Camp

Re: London Chess Classic 2010 7-15 December

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Fabulous.

I brought 6 kids down from Colwyn Bay last year and were were treated so well.

Hope to double the amount I bring this year.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Looking forward to a great event but am surprised by two things:

1. The almost identical field.
I realise that they wanted to keep Carlsen and Kramnik and the 4 top English players. Obviously the addition of Anand is fantastic but then why re-invite Nakamura? Surely an opportunity missed to include a different world class player such as Aronian (especially after his visa problems last year) or Radjabov who we have yet to see play on these shores.

2. By sticking to 8 players and 7 rounds, it gives a significant advantage to those who draw 4 whites as opposed to 4 blacks.
Strange for a such an elite event although I guess the problem was the number of days they could book for the venue for.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 pm

I hope that at this years tournament concessionary rates will be offered to spectators over 60 years of age.

A blemish on the organisation of the 2009 event was the age discrimination shown by the oganisers. They offered numerous concessions to juniors but offered nothing to pensioners.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I agree with Matthew's two points.

To Ken, I say: Come off it. The LCC 2009 offered great entertainment for a tenner.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Ken Norman wrote:I hope that at this years tournament concessionary rates will be offered to spectators over 60 years of age.

A blemish on the organisation of the 2009 event was the age discrimination shown by the oganisers. They offered numerous concessions to juniors but offered nothing to pensioners.
Dear Ken

I have written to you twice now, without a response, inviting you to suggest ways in which the ECF could develop chess for Senior players. Maybe you don't have my email address, or maybe the address I have for you is incorrect. Perhaps you could try writing to me via the Forum with some suggestions?

Far from wishing to discriminate against older players, many of the visitors were players familiar to everyone as veterans of the English chess circuit. We even had Viktor Korchnoi giving a simul!

I look forward to your suggestions.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Ken Norman wrote:I hope that at this years tournament concessionary rates will be offered to spectators over 60 years of age.

let me try to understand this: You're being discriminated against because you are having to pay the same as almost everyone else? Would you rather discriminate against people still in work by making them pay more than you, because the argument for that is about as ridiculous as yours
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:25 am

I am hoping to attend since I missed last years event with illness, which was a shame due to my live games involvement

Let's hope no cold/flu this time around :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 am

Matthew,
I think the sponsor has some input on the format of the event and the participants are partly selected to try to get some interesting chess played. Last year's event worked fantastically well in this regard and I don't really see that there is a need to radically change the field/format. Once top, top, players have an event on their schedule it is quite risky to try to get someone slightly higher rated. Nakamura seemed very nice and he takes the event to the American audience, so I think he deserves his place. Obviously getting Anand to play is quite a coup and I just think this is going to be an absolutely marvellous event.
Well done to everyone involved

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 am

Rob Thompson wrote:

let me try to understand this: You're being discriminated against because you are having to pay the same as almost everyone else? Would you rather discriminate against people still in work by making them pay more than you, because the argument for that is about as ridiculous as yours
What is ridiculous about Ken's comments? Concessions are traditionally offered to those without a full income e.g. students, children, lawyers, the unemployed and old age pensioners. If you choose to leave out a particular group (and I don't say that you should/n't) it seems obvious that a charge of discrimination can be levelled. Perhaps I am missing something here, but it seems quite easy to understand the remark, even if you don't agree with it.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

I just cannot understand how it can be discrimination if you are having to do the same as others. If anything having to pay the same is the opposite of discrimination.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Rob Thompson wrote:I just cannot understand how it can be discrimination if you are having to do the same as others. If anything having to pay the same is the opposite of discrimination.
I imagine that argument would be that you are taking away the concession normally granted to old age pensioners. At the same time you are granting a concession to junior players. Therefore you have created a disparity in your benevolence which could be argued to be based upon age. However, this is probably a bit off topic. :)