Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Post Reply
Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow!

Well done to Malcolm Pein. Good on Stephen Gordon too, he must have had some initial disappointment.

The problem is that some people may interpret this change as the ECF not having the money to get Adams to play in the first place.

Does this announcement confirm that you will captain the Open team?

LozCooper

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Wow!

Well done to Malcolm Pein. Good on Stephen Gordon too, he must have had some initial disappointment.

The problem is that some people may interpret this change as the ECF not having the money to get Adams to play in the first place.

Does this announcement confirm that you will captain the Open team?
Yes, I am hoping there will be no further changes to players and captains. I should point out that my decision was to keep the team unchanged as it had been announced and all players had agreed to play. Stephen was aware of this and it was solely his decision to stand aside.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Is the event no longer being played in Russia? I thought that was the reason given for GM Adams non participation originally?

Adam Ashton
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Adam Ashton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I know how much playing for England means to Stephen, wonder if Adams feels the same given his initial reluctance? Very disappointed with how this has been handled. You say you wouldn't have changed the team but by making Stephen aware that Adams is now available you are in fact obliging him to stand aside for Englands no.1. Guess making it 'his' decision makes you feel better.

Should all have been handled before the teams were announced.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

...but on the bright side, England now has a full-strength team, and a chance to make the A Final. I'm looking forward to the draw for the initial groups.

LozCooper

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:I know how much playing for England means to Stephen, wonder if Adams feels the same given his initial reluctance? Very disappointed with how this has been handled. You say you wouldn't have changed the team but by making Stephen aware that Adams is now available you are in fact obliging him to stand aside for Englands no.1. Guess making it 'his' decision makes you feel better.

Should all have been handled before the teams were announced.
I felt it would be better for me to make Stephen aware than let him read it in the chess press. Perhaps you would have preferred people to be debating on the forum as to why Stephen didn't stand aside when he knew nothing about it. I actually think that very few players would have stood aside in his position so he should be commended for doing so.

Clearly I was in a no win situation and viewed honesty as the best policy.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4102
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes, there can be no complaints about how Loz has handled this. (And of course, credit to Stephen too).

But obviously this looks odd, given that playing in Russia was supposed to be the original problem for Adams. What does "the involvement" of Malcolm Pein mean?

Here is a challenge for forumites - thinking of the London Chess Classic, the Simpsons memorial, even the Rowson matches some ten years ago (not to mention what appears to be a private sponsor for Micheal Adams these days) who can name the most recent long-running series of sponsored chess events/individuals when the source of the sponsorship was public knowledge? is it Lloyds Bank, which finished in 1994?!

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4096
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Smith and Williamson sponsored the British for a decade or so after that.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

I don't really see that there was anything else that Lawrence could do. Malcolm Pein is having a bigger and bigger influence on chess (which in my view is a very good thing). If Adams is playing at the Olympiad due to Malcolm's generosity, then I would take it that Stephen is also in line for some of Malcolm's generosity too. I guess he might get a lucrative contract to commentate on the London Chess Classic and next year the World Championships too? Stephen might have spent most of the time at the Olympiad sitting things out as a reserve. I would very much liked to see Stephen being part of the England Team, but in the end it might work out pretty well for him.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote
"Here is a challenge for forumites - thinking of the London Chess Classic, the Simpsons memorial, even the Rowson matches some ten years ago (not to mention what appears to be a private sponsor for Micheal Adams these days) who can name the most recent long-running series of sponsored chess events/individuals when the source of the sponsorship was public knowledge? is it Lloyds Bank, which finished in 1994?!

Is the answer Henry Mutkin - Varsity match?

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

This topic has been split at the request of Lawrence, sorry for the confusion in the middle of the day
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4102
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Oh, I didn't know the answer. Just askin', is all

Another interpretation of the "involvement" of Malcolm might be that only he can persuade our top two players to play in the same team together. Whatever it means, Matthew is clearly right about his dominant influence in English chess.

Here are quiz questions the answer to which I do know (I think) - when was the last time that a top player was added to a previously announced English Olympiad team (and who voluntarily pulled out to make room for him)? How did the team then perform?

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Is the event no longer being played in Russia? I thought that was the reason given for GM Adams non participation originally?
Yes that was the reason given, Lawrence can you comment?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Re: Announcement – revised England teams for the 2010 Olympi

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Is the event no longer being played in Russia? I thought that was the reason given for GM Adams non participation originally?
Yes that was the reason given, Lawrence can you comment?
That was my understanding at the time. Clearly subsequent events have made my postings on the matter look like total nonsense. It appears Malcolm has unlimited powers of persuasion.

Eoin Devane
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

Post by Eoin Devane » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Is the answer Henry Mutkin - Varsity match?
I think Matthew wins. :D

Post Reply