Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Gavin Strachan

Re: Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Главное Управление Исправительно-Трудовых Лагерей и колоний; Glavnoye Upravlyeniye Ispravityel'no-Trudovih Lagyeryey i koloniy

FIDE translation: "Welcome to the Chess Olympiad have a nice stay" as seen on the hotel brochure.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:35 am

I have it on very good authority that Khanty Mansisk will be "Much worse than Elista (1998)". I have no idea what that means, but follows of Olympiads suggest that is really bad news.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I have it on very good authority that Khanty Mansisk will be "Much worse than Elista (1998)". I have no idea what that means, but follows of Olympiads suggest that is really bad news.
We currently have everything we need except our accommodation being built, invitations to get our visas and confirmation of the charter flight times. :cry:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 am

LozCooper wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:I have it on very good authority that Khanty Mansisk will be "Much worse than Elista (1998)". I have no idea what that means, but follows of Olympiads suggest that is really bad news.
We currently have everything we need except our accommodation being built, invitations to get our visas and confirmation of the charter flight times. :cry:
If it really is as bad as predicted is there a chance that it could materially affect the voting in the Presidential election? Or has Kirsan just got it all sewn up amongst the single member federation delegates anyway?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:56 am

Richard Bates wrote:
LozCooper wrote:
If it really is as bad as predicted is there a chance that it could materially affect the voting in the Presidential election? Or has Kirsan just got it all sewn up amongst the single member federation delegates anyway?
The latter, I suspect.

Experiences and opinions relating to Elista Olympiad 1998 were very mixed. Those with long memories will recall Harry Lamb's famous escape back to civilisation, but I subsequently spoke to a variety of people who said that they'd had a great time.

To be fair, there were a similar range of views about Turin Olympiad 2006. I enjoyed it.

I hope that in the end it all works out at Khanty Mansisyk.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:59 pm

There was nothing terribly wrong about Elista 1998.
The venue was ready - albeit only 5 minutes before the event started. It being blessed by both a Buddhist and Christian priest was very effecting. That there was no proper playing hall was absurd, but not funny.
The people clearly welcomed our presence. You cannot drill children into such a pretence. When I met with the English language girl university students they were very welcoming. The girls were very attractive (we had a samll number assigned to the admin team).
Harry Lamb panicked. Had he waited about 12 hours I would have found him accommodation, probably with the Scottish teams. He also lied to the Daily Telegraph about me.
The event went fine. Of course there were problems, there always are about an event held for the first time in any venue. There were some about Canterbury.
Stewart Reuben

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:There was nothing terribly wrong about Elista 1998 ......... The event went fine. Of course there were problems, there always are about an event held for the first time in any venue. There were some about Canterbury.
Oh come on!

An equivalent scenario at Canterbury would be if we'd been unable to start until the first Wednesday because the venue hadn't been completed and as a consequence we'd had to cancel the rest day and shorten the Championship to ten rounds.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:There was nothing terribly wrong about Elista 1998 ......... The event went fine. Of course there were problems, there always are about an event held for the first time in any venue. There were some about Canterbury.
Oh come on!

An equivalent scenario at Canterbury would be if we'd been unable to start until the first Wednesday because the venue hadn't been completed and as a consequence we'd had to cancel the rest day and shorten the Championship to ten rounds.
I have to confess the reason I didn't visit Canterbury was concern over the city being built along with difficulties in getting a visa and arranging a charter flight :shock:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm

To be fair, the signing in Canterbury is awful. It took a while for me to work out how to get to Kent University. Usually I do a lot of travel by bus, train and walking, and I've been to several towns, cities and suburbs of Birmingham in this way. Out of all of those experiences, Canterbury was the worst by a long way. They don't seem to have heard of a 'map'.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 pm

If we had the money then there could and should have been AA or RAC signs. Once in the University they had terrible signage and the chess admin could have improved that. A similar complaint has been made about Hastings.

I had forgotten about Elista starting late. But I never had a problem finding the venue, well there were really only two roads. Finding the room where a particular match was taking place was different again.

The Olympiad in Moscow in 1994 wasn't really held in a venue at all. Had I been shown around it in advance, I would have said, 'Very nice - now where's the venue?'

The venue in Edinburgh 1985 was the low point of my career as director of the British Championships. The event though was highly successful.

Stewart Reuben

Susan Lalic

Post by Susan Lalic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am

Did anyone notice that the finishing touches were not completed at the Elista venue? There were gaping holes in a few parts of the upper floors at the edges.
It would not have passed a building inspection in most parts of the World.
I stepped on a man hole cover whilst walking out in Elista, the cover tilted up and I fell down the hole. I am still grateful to this day to Chris Ward, who pulled me out with a few cuts and bruises!
Whilst the English ladies had good accommodation, many didn't.
Let's hope the forthcoming Olympiad proves to be better organised.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Wikipedia tells me that "Khanty-Mansiysk hosted the 2009 Chess World Cup championship from November 20 to December 15, 2009." As that was 128 players, it's not on the same scale, but is it the same people doing the organisation? I see "the town also hosted the 2005 Chess World Cup and the 2007 Chess World Cup." Apparently the Biathlon World Cups are held there as well! :)

I wonder what it will be like for spectators? When the Olympiad was held in Dresden, I considered visiting for a few days, but ended up following it online instead. I wouldn't dream of going all the way to somewhere like Khanty-Mansiysk just to watch chess (though to watch the Presidential election might be another matter!).

When the Olympiad has been held in out of the way places (such as Elista), has that generally reduced the spectators to locals and journalists and support members of the teams? And even if the Olympiad is held somewhere more accessible in future years (like somewhere that is a reasonable tourist destination), what are conditions generally like for spectators at Olympiad venues (as opposed to online spectators)? I don't visit events often just to watch chess, but when I do I hate going to events where you end up not being able to actually watch the chess and either have to follow it on a screen or from behind a rope that makes it impossible to actually see the boards, and I vaguely remember some complaints that this has happened at some Olympiads where either the playing hall was too cramped to allow spectators, or there were too many spectators (though I suspect the organisers have enough problems organising the players, let alone spectators).

This does feel a bit off-topic for this thread, so to justify posting here I'll add a comment that I haven't read up on what happened, but was pleased to see that Mickey Adams was in the revised team after all, and I hope they do well. Would discussing how well they are expected to do be OK here? I'm not sure if any of the players in the team are members of these forums!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Khanty-Mansiysk may not have enough hotel rooms built in time for the Olympiad. Of course the local organisers are the same people as for the previous world-class events there. There will be very few spectators.
Spectator viewing is always difficult at the Chess Olympiad. I have no idea whether they intend to have English language commentary, most of that in Dresden was in German. I mainly watched games online in the pressroom. I am told the best viewing was Novi Sad (1988?). The venue was purpose built after an earthquake if I remember correctly.
Online spectator viewing is nearly always these days more convenient, except possibly in Hastins or Gibraltar. Where else can you get Spassky doing the commentary with Stuart Conquest for 3 hours?

Stewart Reuben

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Would discussing how well they are expected to do be OK here?
Well, some of the major players are listed here: http://reports.chessdom.com/news-2010/c ... mpiad-2010

Germany's team is woefully understrength. Russia get three teams as hosts, and Russia 3 has a 2700+ player in it...

I think we're about as good as France. I don't think either England or France are that much weaker than the defending champions, Armenia. Top 10 is not out of the question...

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Olympiad. Chessdom lists 'Men teams'.
It would be Men's teams except that is incorrect. Women have often played in the Olympiad or, if you prefer, Open Olympiad. I thought I had persuaded FIDE not to use the incorrect term. Still, Chessdom is not FIDE.

Stewart Reuben