Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Discuss revised England teams for 2010 Olympiad

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:51 am

Mark Howitt wrote:Come on guys for 'chess geeks' I thought there would be more indepth discussion on England's chances! Personally I want to know how the travel to Siberia has been and what the team's preperation has been like! Come on England!
I don't think they've arrived in Siberia yet; but they're on their way!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:17 am

Not quite yet. I don't leave for Heathrow for another hour, then we go to Prague. CJ of course must have arrived Friday.

England are seeded to come 10th. One problem with chess as a sport is that it is hard to hide from the statistics. We got silver in 1984. But then the opposition was weaker. There was no Armenia or Ukraine and Israel was much weaker. France, China and India have made great strides, although the latter seldom field their best team in this event. For all the teams one of the problems is for all the members to be on form all at the same time. Also the system has changed since our heyday. Now the team result is what is important, 2.5-1.5 is very similar to 4-0. The system places a greater premium on starting well than the earlier 14 round Swiss.
Monday sees the Opening Ceremony.

Stewart Reuben

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Well according to this, we're seeded 12th.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr36795.a ... -1&wi=1000

I've had a look and a ponder about the teams- I reckon this is the best chance we've had for years at an Olympiad- think I read we got 4th in Moscow 1994 when we should have got 3rd but the Russians fixed the tiebreak- terrible conditions in that one too.

First time I can really remember since 'following' chess Olympiads (starting from 1998 really) that are players all seem to be near the peak of their form all at the same time. We've probably got our strongest available team out there at the moment, and for England it's quite a young team. I think all of the players in there can show good will to win- in fact I'd say overall from what I've seen boards 2-4 in any combination like to press to a win very hard if they're near the peak of their form. When Adams gets into form he has great results too in team comps- I really hope he does continue his good form, although he will have some tough matches. I just hope he doesn't give away easy draws- I want everyone to be fighting for the full point! I personally believe too that how well we do depends to some extent on how much we can get our top four players to play. I'd play Gawain against some of the weaker teams but not against players ranked too far above 2600 if I could help it.

And looking at the teams, a lot of teams have crucial players out. Germany have all their best players out, Romania aren't playing, Azerbaijan have Gashimov out, France have Bacrot out, Lautier too if you count him as 'active', Netherlands have Tiviakov out, Poland have Krasenkow out, India have Anand out, Denmark have Nielsen out... and these are just ones from top of my head!

Depending on how English chess goes, this might actually be the best chance we have for years.

Ratings are one thing, but how England prepare and the conditions they have are crucial. That's why I'm eager to know about them in this Olympiad- another plus this time seems to me is we have a team captain who works hard and likes to communicate with the chess players who help subsdise his team, so I really hope Loz can provide a few updates we can't get from other sources during the Olympiad!
Last edited by Mark Howitt on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm

I like this little tidbit, from chessdom (http://reports.chessdom.com/news-2010/c ... s-to-start):

"Food at the Olympiad

The head of Ugra region, Natalia Komarova, has recently stated that all facilities are ready for the Chess Olympiad. One of the latest details uncovered, the players will have two possible menues - a classical and a vegeterian one. They will be prepared by professional chefs from St. Petersburg. Some delegations, like Norway, will prepare their own special menu. "

Are Norwegians noted for having particularly unique dietary preferences? :D

BTW, I wonder if "two possible menus" means "two possible meals", or a selection of a number of options from two menus. Coz with hundreds of people to feed they might struggle to consistently satisfy everyone's tastes with the former. They can't have chicken every day.
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:23 pm

There have been a few cockups with that chess-results page.

1) United States of America's name is wrong. If they can fit Former YUG Republic of Macedonia in, they can get that in...
2) Several players have been put in the system incorrectly. Karjakin has no rating. Dominguez has no rating for Cuba; that might increase their average.

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I think I read somewhere that it's Denmark who are missing Nielsen as he is Norway's coach!?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Andy Burnett wrote:I think I read somewhere that it's Denmark who are missing Nielsen as he is Norway's coach!?
That's right. Robert Bellin is Guernsey's coach!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Anyone want to guess - before peeking - how many captains of the womens' teams are themselves women?

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Richard Bates wrote:I like this little tidbit, from chessdom (http://reports.chessdom.com/news-2010/c ... s-to-start):

"Some delegations, like Norway, will prepare their own special menu. "

Are Norwegians noted for having particularly unique dietary preferences? :D
I suspect the Norwegians in particular are mentioned because Norway probably enquired from the Olympiad organisers about whether the catering would be able to provide a gluten-free diet, since at least two of their prospective players suffer from coeliac disease and need this.

Indeed Norway are without the services of their number 3 (active) player, Kjetil Lie, since he is one of the players in question, and had sufficient doubts about their ability to cater for him that he decided not to play.

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Anyone want to guess - before peeking - how many captains of the womens' teams are themselves women?
Not very many, I expect, since I think the captain largely fills the role of coach also, particularly for the womens teams, so unless you get one from another country (and why not a man of equivalent strength, since they're rather easier to find), then if they are strong enough to be of some benefit to the team then they might well want to be IN the team. I'm going to hazard a guess of 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't any at all!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Definitely less than five; possibly none. There are a few with female sounding names (e.g, one Ana), but that is all.

Agreed with the reasons. But one does hear of some male GMs being (no doubt inadvertently) rather patronising when captaining/coaching womens' teams, so it seems to me that some federations might consider hiring foreign WGMs or female IMs who come from such strong countries that they don't make the team, or from countries who cannot afford to pay their way. An added advantage would be that these players would come with their own experience of playing for Olympiad teams, which is not, I suspect, the case of the vast majority of male captains.

No doubt there are only a handful of suitable such players but even they don't seem to be asked.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Definitely less than five; possibly none. There are a few with female sounding names (e.g, one Ana), but that is all.
I can find a few more than five!

I reckon India, Mexico, ICSC, New Zealand, South Africa, Jamaica, Angola, Kenya, Nigeria, Seychelles, Surinam, IPCA, Montenegro, Serbia are female. More confident on some than others...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:23 pm

really? Well, I won't argue. I guess it is largely a matter of familiarity with female-sounding names.

anyway, there isn't a well known female captain in charge of any team. Not a big deal, but indicative to me of a certain lack of imagination when it comes to womens' teams.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Definitely less than five; possibly none. There are a few with female sounding names (e.g, one Ana), but that is all.
I can find a few more than five!

I reckon India, Mexico, ICSC, New Zealand, South Africa, Jamaica, Angola, Kenya, Nigeria, Seychelles, Surinam, IPCA, Montenegro, Serbia are female. More confident on some than others...
What is the name of the ICSC captain, I can confirm that for you if you like. From memory, the men's team has a male captain and the women's team has a female captain. Not that the ICSC is a standard "country" team anyway (the others are the IPCA and IBCA)! I must remember to follow some of their games while cheering on England at the same time.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:What is the name of the ICSC captain, I can confirm that for you if you like.
Olga Nazarova - sounds feminine to me.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:What is the name of the ICSC captain, I can confirm that for you if you like.
Olga Nazarova - sounds feminine to me.
Yup. She is a woman. I've met her as well. Might even have played her over the board! Where are the ICSC team seeded (the men's team?). If no-one is going to discuss the England team, might as well pick another team to discuss... :)