Matthew Sadler, ROC Nova College Schaaktoernooi

The very latest International round up of English news.
benedgell

Matthew Sadler, ROC Nova College Schaaktoernooi

Post by benedgell » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Just noticed Matthew Sadler playing in the above tournament.

http://www.hwphaarlem.nl/novahome

is the tournament's website.

The reason I mention it is that in round 2 Sadler's game (with him as black) started 1. e4 a6 2. d4 h6, and ended with him beating a 2400- rated player in 22 moves.

Leonard Barden

Re: Matthew Sadler, ROC Nova College Schaaktoernooi

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Sadler has this afternoon won this small but strong event ( 32 players, 7 GMs and 3 IMs, first prize 1200 Euros) with an unbeaten 5/6, including a draw in a probably winning position. That's a great result after a six-year break from tournament chess.

Besides the 1 d4 a6 2 e4 h6 game above, he skipped theory in both his other Blacks, one starting 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Qe7 and the other using a hybrid Indian where he fianchettoed both bishops.

This raises the question, which I hope Loz will look into, whether he may extend this comeback. Fact is that a 2012 Olympiad team with Sadler would have five 2600 GMs and a chance of a top 6-10 finish.

The World Open has four rounds to go today and tomorrow with McShane in good contention. He is on 4/5 including a win from Onischuk and draws with Harikrishna and Ganguly, and is joint second a point behind the sole leader V Laznicka.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:06 pm

By all means look into it, but these reports of his Black repertoire rather scream "just playing for a bit of fun, for old times' sake" to me.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:59 am

Leonard Barden wrote:Sadler has this afternoon won this small but strong event ( 32 players, 7 GMs and 3 IMs, first prize 1200 Euros) with an unbeaten 5/6, including a draw in a probably winning position. That's a great result after a six-year break from tournament chess.
For once LWB nods.

Sadler played another event earlier this year. See http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... it=+Sadler.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 am

I was aware of the previous event, but it was only a rapid.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 am

Leonard Barden wrote:I was aware of the previous event, but it was only a rapid.
Fair enough. Apologies for having accused you of nodding.

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:32 pm

You spend years getting to FIDE 2400 and then some ex-2600 GM comes along not having pushed a pawn for the last 5(?) years wheels out 1....a6 2....h6 against you and beats you in 22 moves! Its going take more than a cup of tea and and a biscuit to get over that.....................

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Games and results are here:

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/e ... ekend-2010

Note Stewart Haslinger also played
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Peter Doggers

Post by Peter Doggers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Phil Ramsey

Matthew Sadler is back

Post by Phil Ramsey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:20 am

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/victo ... ew-sadler/

Matthew wins his first tournament back after 11 years out of chess. Looking at the games he won them in some style as well. One of his wins as Black went 1. ... a6 2. ... h6!

If he joined the Olympiad team later this year we would definitely look stronger.

Phil

Carl Hibbard

Re: Matthew Sadler is back

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 am

Phil Ramsey wrote:http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/victo ... ew-sadler/

Matthew wins his first tournament back after 11 years out of chess. Looking at the games he won them in some style as well. One of his wins as Black went 1. ... a6 2. ... h6!

If he joined the Olympiad team later this year we would definitely look stronger.

Phil
A quick merge of topics as this information had already been reported
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am

Mick Norris wrote:Games and results are here:

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/e ... ekend-2010

Note Stewart Haslinger also played
and Mike Haslinger who finished 4th= in Group B :)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 am

Leonard Barden wrote:Sadler has this afternoon won this small but strong event ( 32 players, 7 GMs and 3 IMs, first prize 1200 Euros) with an unbeaten 5/6, including a draw in a probably winning position. That's a great result after a six-year break from tournament chess.

Besides the 1 d4 a6 2 e4 h6 game above, he skipped theory in both his other Blacks, one starting 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Qe7 and the other using a hybrid Indian where he fianchettoed both bishops.

This raises the question, which I hope Loz will look into, whether he may extend this comeback. Fact is that a 2012 Olympiad team with Sadler would have five 2600 GMs and a chance of a top 6-10 finish.

The World Open has four rounds to go today and tomorrow with McShane in good contention. He is on 4/5 including a win from Onischuk and draws with Harikrishna and Ganguly, and is joint second a point behind the sole leader V Laznicka.

Isnt the olympiad team sorted now, even if he wanted to come back , surely thats a "unlucky mate, you've missed the boat".
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 am

Ben Purton wrote:Isnt the olympiad team sorted now, even if he wanted to come back , surely thats a "unlucky mate, you've missed the boat".
"But you let Adams in the team after it was announced, so why not me?"

I don't think he would want to be selected though, and as speculated above, it was probably a one-off thing.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am

Ben Purton wrote:

Isnt the olympiad team sorted now, even if he wanted to come back , surely thats a "unlucky mate, you've missed the boat".
Please read the post, Ben. Leonard is talking about the 2012 Olympiad.