Page 1 of 1

2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 pm
by Alex Holowczak
The British Universities' Chess Association has assembled a British team to play in the World Universities' Chess Championship in Zurich from September 4 to September 12:

Men's Competition:
FM Peter Poobalasingam (Bath)
Vedantha Kumar (Cambridge)

Women's Competition:
WFM Sarah Hegarty (Bristol)
Hannah Dale (Exeter)

Team Manager: IM Lorin d'Costa

More info: http://www.buca.org.uk

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm
by Eoin Devane
Good work!

Any idea what sort of standard of opposition they can expect to face?

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:39 pm
by Alex Holowczak
For some reason, the last tournament where this information is available is 2004; held in Istanbul. That had:
Countries - 15
Men 43 - 9 GM 11 IM 6 FM
Women 21 - 2 WGM 9 WIM 2 WFM

However, this was an unusually strong year; previously no more than 4 GMs took part. The 2006 event was held in Lagos, Nigeria. I can only assume it wasn't very successful, because I can find no data for it.

20 countries are taking part in the competition this time around though; which is an increase on the 2004 event. So there's every reason to believe that there will be more players this time than Istanbul 2004. It's a bit of a voyage into the unknown...

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Alex Holowczak wrote:20 countries are taking part in the competition this time around though; which is an increase on the 2004 event. So there's every reason to believe that there will be more players this time than Istanbul 2004. It's a bit of a voyage into the unknown...
Good luck! Zurich is a lovely city. Hopefully the event will grow in the future - are the matches played over two boards? If so, that must make for simple calculations on what the possible results are!

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:51 am
by Eoin Devane
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:20 countries are taking part in the competition this time around though; which is an increase on the 2004 event. So there's every reason to believe that there will be more players this time than Istanbul 2004. It's a bit of a voyage into the unknown...
Good luck! Zurich is a lovely city. Hopefully the event will grow in the future - are the matches played over two boards? If so, that must make for simple calculations on what the possible results are!
I believe it's composed of two tournaments - one for men and one for women. Both are played as individual tournaments, and then the team score is taken as the sum of the best male score, the best female score and the next best of either from each country. Countries are allowed up to a total of eight players. There are also individual titles, I think. Details are at http://www.wucc2010.ch/.

Edit: I've just seen the list of participants - wow! That's one strong tournament. Wang Yue! Plus two 2600 Russians I've never heard of and the well-known up and coming players Ghaem Maghami and Dusan Popovic. 31 men + 1 woman over 2400! The British players' seedings are:

Peter 41, Vedantha 55, Sarah 28 and Hannah 35.

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 am
by Eoin Devane
My word, it's even stronger than I thought - Botvinnik's playing! :lol:

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:58 am
by Matthew Turner
That is an incredible list of players. Is Wang Yue really at University?

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:17 am
by Alex Holowczak
OK... I think it's fair to say that this competition has become stronger since the 2004 edition! :shock:

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Yesterday, without notifying anybody, the organisers changed the time control for this event from whatever it was before (I forget, it was something like 40 moves in 90 minutes + 15 minutes + 30 seconds from move 1) to 90 minutes + 30 seconds per move from move 1. I thought it was extremely bad form to change time limits after everyone has paid to enter, but norms are available now, so I'm not too bothered!

So Peter will now be aiming for an IM norm, and Sarah for a WIM norm.

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 am
by Kevin Thurlow
Well done Alex - great news that we are sending players. When did that last happen?

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am
by Alex Holowczak
Lorin d'Costa played in this event in Lagos 2006, but he was playing as part of the Belgian team. Apart from that, we've never sent anyone before.

Re: 2010 World Universities' Chess Championship team

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 am
by David Sedgwick
Alex Holowczak wrote:I thought it was extremely bad form to change time limits after everyone has paid to enter, but norms are available now, so I'm not too bothered!
Count yourself fortunate. Had it been a FIDE event, the organsiers would have changed the dates, the venue, the eligibility conditions and anything else that came to mind.

I imagine that they changed the time limits precisely because someone drew their attention to the norm possibility, albeit belatedly.