European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Apr

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:00 am

Sean Hewitt wrote: Ironically it looks like I'll be arbiting at another country's national championships before I get asked to arbit at the British!
Are we seeing a trend as in sports, of asking for neutrals even in national championships? Stewart Reuben was an invited arbiter for Rumanian events. He introduced the novelty of starting the rounds on time.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:11 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:I can also confirm that 6 GM & 12 IM norms were achieved.
Thanks for that bit of news (and thanks to David as well for pointing to the europe eches report). Will the full list of norms achieved be published at some point, and would any British IMs have considered attempting to get GM norms here? I'm asking because I looked back over the list of recent English GMs, and there wasn't one last year (or in 2004, I think), but one every other year this decade. Was wondering where the next English GM will be coming from.
There is now a full list at http://www.aixlesbains2011.fr/Default.aspx?id=161.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 am

David Sedgwick wrote: There is now a full list at http://www.aixlesbains2011.fr/Default.aspx?id=161.
One name known to Hastings (and Gibraltar) players, Getz of Norway. It's not so long ago that he was just a 2150 ish player.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:43 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: Ironically it looks like I'll be arbiting at another country's national championships before I get asked to arbit at the British!
Are we seeing a trend as in sports, of asking for neutrals even in national championships? Stewart Reuben was an invited arbiter for Rumanian events. He introduced the novelty of starting the rounds on time.
Oh, so Stewart's indirectly the one to blame for the zero default rule!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 am

Richard Bates wrote:Oh, so Stewart's indirectly the one to blame for the zero default rule!
In some ways that's correct. Stewart's committee on rules and regulations was asked to come up with something to give a bit of flexibility to the long standing one hour rule. Nigel Short wanted something as well after he was troubled by a late arriving player in a World Cup rapid-play play-off. This was then hi-jacked by the FIDE president and some of his anti-chess supporters. It was prototyped in Dresden and a Chinese event in an extremely player hostile manner.