Cappelle International 2012

The very latest International round up of English news.
Peter Turner

Re: Cappelle International 2012

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I believe Bauer's absence was known to the organisers because he was not paired the first 2 rounds and when the very large impressive result charts were pinned to the display boards on day 2 his name was in the number 1 slot. The player scores are printed on strips of card and pasted to the charts, this began after 2 rounds were competed. It was only then we realised Bauer had not played, his was the only name with nothing recorded, all very mysterious. Then we saw he was paired for round 3 and had similar thoughts about whether he could still win with 7/7. Stats are that in 4 of the last 6 years there has been a sole winner on 7.5/9 - in 07 6= 1st on 7/9 and in 08 8= also o 7/9. Of more 'local' interest in 05 2= 1st on 7.5 with Hebden & Gormally in the next group on 7/9

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Its good to see Sam Franklin and George playing in this event. I remember watching Sam at Guernsey a few years ago and it was clear to me that he was going to become a very strong player managed to talk to Sam at the airport in Guernsey he is a really nice lad. George is anther very talented junior so good luck to both of them from me.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 pm

A win for McDonald and excellent draws for George & Samuel.
With reference to the post above - I remember playing the youngest Peter Williams at the Kings Head Rapidplay some years ago. At the time he was still wearing his 'No Fear' tee-shirt and for such a young player he conducted himself well both on and off the board. I escaped with a draw, by the way.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Good evening John

Obviously the boys are very pleased with the draws today. I don't know why but we thought perhaps the pairings for rd 7 might have been 'kinder' with better prospects for a win. See below!!:-

Neil McDonald 2457 GM ENG (4) v Alexandr Frier 2599 GM BRA
Sam Franklin 2187 ENG (3.5) v Sergey Grigoiants 2561 GM RUS
Dr. Jan Michael Sprenger 2523 IM GER v George O’Toole 2177 ENG (3.5)

Neil is on board 19 again which should be live at 1pm UK time.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:35 am

Good morning Peter, hope it's going to be another fine day for the trio. I think that it is better for the youngsters to play as many GMs & IMs as possible as they will become more acclimatised to that level of play.
I saw that veteran Sveshnikov and junior Nyzhnyk won yesterday. They will be live today along with Neil. Also visible will be Bogdan on 17, and tardy top-seed Bauer (2679) is against former Hastings victor Kurnosov (2657). Almost forgot to mention the two Indian players on board one. Enjoy.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 am

John McKenna wrote:A win for McDonald and excellent draws for George & Samuel.
With reference to the post above - I remember playing the youngest Peter Williams at the Kings Head Rapidplay some years ago. At the time he was still wearing his 'No Fear' tee-shirt and for such a young player he conducted himself well both on and off the board. I escaped with a draw, by the way.
Thank you John for those comments about Peter.If Peter had not played these Adult chess players who also conducted there self very well(apart from one player who swore when he lost to Peter) he would not have improved so quick.

Peter asked if you want a re-match?

any way once again good luck to Sam and George.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for your reply, Peter W. Wish I could play young Peter again - now I could learn a lot from him. Congratulations on him becoming the highest FIDE-rated U-16 English junior, I believe.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Sam has just drawn against Grigoiants, Sam in analysis which is usually an hour+ of very informative learning. I wonder what the Rd8 pairing will be for Sam on 4 points now the acceleration has ended. Sorry, in the rush last night, I missed Bogdan was on a live board. Rd 8 pairings expected about 7.45 UK time. (George & Neil still playing)

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Peter Turner wrote:Sam has just drawn against Grigoiants, Sam in analysis which is usually an hour+ of very informative learning. I wonder what the Rd8 pairing will be for Sam on 4 points now the acceleration has ended. Sorry, in the rush last night, I missed Bogdan was on a live board. Rd 8 pairings expected about 7.45 UK time. (George & Neil still playing)
Brilliant result by Sam.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Peter Turner wrote:Sam has just drawn against Grigoiants, Sam in analysis which is usually an hour+ of very informative learning. I wonder what the Rd8 pairing will be for Sam on 4 points now the acceleration has ended. Sorry, in the rush last night, I missed Bogdan was on a live board. Rd 8 pairings expected about 7.45 UK time. (George & Neil still playing)
Brilliant result by Sam.
Peter, many thanks for your congratulations, a few kind words of encouagement are worth their weight in gold. Sam is sitting next to me and says, "thanks". We await the pairings with some excitment.

Unfortunately George & Neil both lost.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Glad my words have helped.What ever the results are it is a great event for George and Sam to be playing in both of them are really good players and deserve encouagement as do you for helping them in this event.
I also look forward to the pairing for all 3 of them!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

Peter Turner wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
Brilliant result by Sam.
Peter, many thanks for your congratulations, a few kind words of encouagement are worth their weight in gold.
In that case, I'll add my own good wishes to the Barbican players and also to Neil, one of the nicest GMs around.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Peter, please add my hearty congratulations to Samuel as we share the same club (and sometimes the opposite extremes of the same team). Sorry to hear that Neil & George could not get results.
Missed the live games today but hope to see some on Fri. Thanks, again, for giving us a view of what's happening on the ground there. John

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Good evening John

I have just let Sam see your message, it's much appreciated. Potentially Sam has a good pairing with a more realistic chance of getting a result. His current TPR is 2332.

Round 8 pairings
Cyril Soyez 2229 FRA v Neil McDonald 2457 GM ENG (4)
Jasmine Bejtovic 2403 IM BIH v Sam Franklin 2187 ENG (4)
Helmuth Deusschere 1789 BEL v George O’Toole 2177 ENG (3.5)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Looks like Sam still has a norm chance, but he'll need 2/2 with a strong opponent in round 9 (eyeballing it suggests 2475 or so).