Candidates Tournament 2013

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Candidates Tournament 2013

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:So, are we to conclude that Andrew Paulson was full of s**t?

*I have not read the entire thread due to idleness*
Good sense rather than idleness?

A bit too early for a conclusion on AP, I'd say. Regardless of how things turn out, though, probably not premature to suggest that his pronouncements to date might have been approached with a little more scepticism in some quarters.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm

The FIDE website lists Robert Fontaine as the AGON Chief of Staff. Robert is a terrific bloke and very professional, so if things haven't worked out as planned it is a shame.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: A bit too early for a conclusion on AP, I'd say. Regardless of how things turn out, though, probably not premature to suggest that his pronouncements to date might have been approached with a little more scepticism in some quarters.
It's only Danailov claiming the cancellation of the Lisbon and Madrid Grand Prix. But FIDE or Agon haven't denied it either.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: A bit too early for a conclusion on AP, I'd say. Regardless of how things turn out, though, probably not premature to suggest that his pronouncements to date might have been approached with a little more scepticism in some quarters.
It's only Danailov claiming the cancellation of the Lisbon and Madrid Grand Prix. But FIDE or Agon haven't denied it either.
True - although I wasn't thinking so much about the Grand Prix. I think most of us would agree that Malc Pein is a little more reliable as a source.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm

The posts have become more pessimistic since my post.

I don't want to seem negative about it. I'm actually really excited that a Candidates Tournament is coming to London, with such a great field. It would be really good to see it and be there; who knows, it may be part of history, you know, like Zurich 1953!!

I want it to be a fantastic success, with lots of support and people coming to see it. If Mr. Paulson can inject money, impetus and enthusiasm into the game, then that must be applauded.

Spoiler alert - 'but' word coming....

But - for the London Classic it was spelled out pretty clearly what you would get for your cash. Not that the money is the only thing. But you like to see what you are buying, if you get my meaning.

<fingers crossed>

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am

Matthew Turner wrote:The latest E-mail from the ECF says a number of things
1. It passes on a deal from a seemingly fairly dubious business without first checking it out
Matthew Turner wrote:The FIDE website lists Robert Fontaine as the AGON Chief of Staff. Robert is a terrific bloke and very professional, so if things haven't worked out as planned it is a shame.
:oops:

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 am

I would have thought that Sean was only too aware that good people can get involved with dubious organisations.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 am

"<Gran Prix in Lisbon also cancelled. AGON(Y) is about to finish. (https://twitter.com/SilvioDanailov/...)>"

Danailov goes up in my estimation for the "AGON(Y)" comment.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am

Ray Sayers wrote: But - for the London Classic it was spelled out pretty clearly what you would get for your cash. Not that the money is the only thing. But you like to see what you are buying, if you get my meaning.
times_chess is now tweeting that Nigel Short and Malcolm Pein will be commentators alongside Lawrence Trent.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I would have thought that Sean was only too aware that good people can get involved with dubious organisations.
It's not for me to comment on your views of Agon, or any other company for that matter, but when you say
Matthew Turner wrote:The latest E-mail from the ECF says a number of things
1. It passes on a deal from a seemingly fairly dubious business without first checking it out
it shows that you're just making it up. You have no idea what checks went on. It certainly seems that I knew more than you did, given that I met Robert Fontaine in his capacity as Agon Chief of Staff some time ago. :oops:

What's the Chess Scotland discount? :lol:

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 am

Sean,
I notice you haven't actually answered this point yet

"If you (or someone else within the ECF) has checked out the arrangements for spectators at the Candidates then I'd be grateful if he'd let us know. They don't seem to appear anywhere else."

Chessscotland haven't e-mailed me offereing a discount at the candidates, so I suppose if I wanted to go I'd have to use the one from Ray keene which is freely available to everyone.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Sean,
I notice you haven't actually answered this point yet

"If you (or someone else within the ECF) has checked out the arrangements for spectators at the Candidates then I'd be grateful if he'd let us know. They don't seem to appear anywhere else."
If you email the office with your ECF membership number, they'll be delighted to answer your question. :oops:
Matthew Turner wrote:Chessscotland haven't e-mailed me offereing a discount at the candidates, so I suppose if I wanted to go I'd have to use the one from Ray keene which is freely available to everyone.
Glad that Ray Keene is helping Chess Scotland members out. What other discounts / offers is he arranging for CS? :oops: :oops:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

A big children moderator is available if needed?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 am

If you email the office with your ECF membership number, they'll be delighted to answer your question.

Many thanks, will do.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 am

Matthew Turner wrote:If you email the office with your ECF membership number, they'll be delighted to answer your question.

Many thanks, will do.
excellent news indeed. don't forget to include your membership fee. :D