Bunratty Masters

The very latest International round up of English news.
Richard Bates

Re: Bunratty Masters

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Well done at Bunratty, Richard, even if you did elect not to go for gold at the end! :P
Well yes. Bit disappointed that Elyanov's the only one getting all the publicity...
The difference with county chess is that it does seem to have pretty much nothing else going to make it attractive to the more recent generations of players (obviously, unlike Bunratty).
Other than not being rated, of course! I think i'm still firmly ensconsced in your 'below 40' category for the 'more recent generations' ;) I don't know about other teams, but i would hope there would be no particular appetite amongst Middlesex players for FIDE-rating games. Although being the only team in the SCCU who regularly play their home matches in pubs/bars we may not be wholly representative. We'd better rein back on the march towards world domination in case our achilles heel is targeted. Probably few of our home venues would meet FIDE requirements. Other than that i doubt many would support the extra costs involved.
Last edited by Richard Bates on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: (I am guessing that the organisers had hopes of goading Topalov to play too, for that reason)
Topalov was quite happy to spend his time drinking and discussing chess politics. Very nice chap, actually. And had a lost of interesting stuff to say. Even took the time out to reveal a few opening "secrets".

Playing in the tournament as well would have got in the way. He did find the time to lose K and 3p vs K and 3p against Gary O'Grady. But then everyone does that.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: (I am guessing that the organisers had hopes of goading Topalov to play too, for that reason)
Topalov was quite happy to spend his time drinking and discussing chess politics. Very nice chap, actually. And had a lost of interesting stuff to say. Even took the time out to reveal a few opening "secrets".

Playing in the tournament as well would have got in the way. He did find the time to lose K and 3p vs K and 3p against Gary O'Grady. But then everyone does that.
Can any of the secrets be divulged in public? Openings or chess politics, either will do!

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am

I've written a report with games (and a photo) as a blog on Chess.com - http://www.chess.com/blog/Trendle/bunra ... l---report

There's also a report on the icu website: http://www.icu.ie/articles/display.php?id=374