European Championship - Team ENGLAND

The very latest International round up of English news.
William Metcalfe

Re: European Championship - Team ENGLAND

Post by William Metcalfe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

The team did not refuse to play because there was no coach Jovanka stood down so the team could employ a coach somehow we ended up with no Jovanka,no coach and no team
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Still no team news... after a quick search I can't find the full list of any team... when will this change?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Still no team news... after a quick search I can't find the full list of any team... when will this change?
You have to look at the individual websites of national Federations.

For example the English team
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/european ... mpionship/
The Welsh team
http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/internationalnews
The Scottish team
http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=502

I don't think the ICU are sending a team.

The French selected their team in August, complete with two trainers. ( co-breeders according to Google translate)
This fall, two teams of France, mixed and female, will head to Warsaw to participate in the European Nations Championship to be held from November 7 to 18. Constituted by Yannick Gozzoli and Sebastien Maze, the two national co-breeders, the France team will consist of Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, Etienne Bacrot, Laurent Fressinet, Romain Edouard and Vlad Tkachiev. The selection of Matthew Cornette sélectioneur captain of the team of France women is as follows: Marie Sebag, Almira Skripchenko, Sophie Milliet, Pauline Guichard and Nino Maisuradze.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks. Scottish team doesn't look too strong!

This takes place from 7-18 November in Warsaw, Poland. The team in board order has now been selected.

1) Graham Morrison

2) Andrew Muir

3) Alan Tate

4) Jonathan Grant

5) Alan Minnican

Preview: This takes place from 7-18 November in Warsaw, Poland. Players must pay their own travel and accommodation costs though I am expecting Chess Scotland to pay £300 of these per player.

If you would like to be considered for selection please contact me by 15 June.

Nice to see some clear info there... economic reality of chess.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The French selected their team in August, complete with two trainers. ( co-breeders according to Google translate)
This fall, two teams of France, mixed and female, will head to Warsaw to participate in the European Nations Championship to be held from November 7 to 18. Constituted by Yannick Gozzoli and Sebastien Maze, the two national co-breeders, the France team will consist of Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, Etienne Bacrot, Laurent Fressinet, Romain Edouard and Vlad Tkachiev. The selection of Matthew Cornette sélectioneur captain of the team of France women is as follows: Marie Sebag, Almira Skripchenko, Sophie Milliet, Pauline Guichard and Nino Maisuradze.
The 'co-breeders' are of course Fressinet & Skripchenko :)

Presumably Google takes the French éleveur, meaning literally 'someone who raises up', and by extension 'to nurture', 'to flourish' etc, and clumsily translates it into one of that family of terms.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Thanks. Scottish team doesn't look too strong!

This takes place from 7-18 November in Warsaw, Poland. The team in board order has now been selected.

1) Graham Morrison

2) Andrew Muir

3) Alan Tate

4) Jonathan Grant

5) Alan Minnican

Preview: This takes place from 7-18 November in Warsaw, Poland. Players must pay their own travel and accommodation costs though I am expecting Chess Scotland to pay £300 of these per player.

If you would like to be considered for selection please contact me by 15 June.

Nice to see some clear info there... economic reality of chess.

Craig Pritchett and Philip Giulian will be playing in the World Seniors Championship in Croatia between 11th and 24th November 2013.

Chris Dossett

Post by Chris Dossett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I am quite new to this. I am interested to know just how much a coach's services would cost the ECF for the Women's team. I imagine (and this may be way off the mark) that appearance fees, for the Open team would be far and away the biggest expense. Travel and accommodation for both teams would be pretty similar. Would the expense of the coach plug that gap, or were the funds originally allocated for the whole of the women's team needed to balance the books? It's very hard when you have no idea of the numbers involved here. Please understand I have no desire to know how much each player is getting to play; just ballpark total figures for each part of the equation would be useful in understanding how this decision came to be made.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Chris Dossett wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but I am quite new to this. I am interested to know just how much a coach's services would cost the ECF for the Women's team. I imagine (and this may be way off the mark) that appearance fees, for the Open team would be far and away the biggest expense. Travel and accommodation for both teams would be pretty similar. Would the expense of the coach plug that gap, or were the funds originally allocated for the whole of the women's team needed to balance the books? It's very hard when you have no idea of the numbers involved here. Please understand I have no desire to know how much each player is getting to play; just ballpark total figures for each part of the equation would be useful in understanding how this decision came to be made.
I think you are mostly right, though accommodation costs would not be quite the same - the women have generally been expected to share, whilst no one familiar with the mens' team would expect this.

We discussed this under AGM in the ECF section - it is a shame that this is being discussed in various parallel threads now. The figure of £9K for the womens' team sounds rather far-fetched. I would guess that a coach costs around 1 - 1.5K plus expenses but that is very much a guess. It was only decided in late September - or at least, this is when Jovanka seems to have been told - to cut out the cost of the coach, so the likelihood/general assumption is that the funds originally allocated for the women were diverted to balance the books.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Quite a lot for a coach then- more than practically anyone of that level ever gets in a same period playing tournaments.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Quite a lot for a coach then- more than practically anyone of that level ever gets in a same period playing tournaments.
I'm not sure we really know what the going rate for a GM coach is. It wouldn't be related to what they could earn playing, more to what they could earn by staying at home and fulfilling their regular engagements.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeah but I've not heard of one coach who has students CONSTANLY for 1.5 weeks. Just look at Gormally and Lalic on Facebook. I'm sure most GMs only spend a few hours a week coaching people.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Yeah but I've not heard of one coach who has students CONSTANLY for 1.5 weeks. Just look at Gormally and Lalic on Facebook. I'm sure most GMs only spend a few hours a week coaching people.
Ah, the argument from personal incredulity. Might I suggest that the principal reason you haven't heard of it is because you haven't actually done the relevant research?

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 am

OK please tell me a GM who frequently has students in 1.5 weeks that gets 1-1.5k? Done quite a bit of 'research' on this actually Jacky boy... I would take a guess that the GM who gets paid near the top end for his training would be Hodgson... but I still reckon even in London private schools he'd be lucky to get 1.5k in 1.5 weeks. From my understanding, quite a lot of GMs don't have any 'students' at all... some may prefer playing but would find it difficult to get them if they wanted/needed to.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 pm

More like 2 weeks worth of time this. 1k in that time would very close to the UK average salary. Goodness for most people you'd be paying quite a bit of overtime for the weekends. I know professional chess players mostly aren't remotely mega rich, but you're mostly talking pretty well qualified people and you'd hope they weren't doing notably worse than that.

Even if they were at times they surely at least deserve to be treated well when employed by the ECF :) The various expenses of flying them there, feeding them etc will of course add quite a bit of cost on.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Most chess players (pro ones who do just chess) are POOR. It's only fairly recently that some of them admitted how poor they are. Like, try adding Bogdan Lalic on facebook. I did for a while. Every day... "I hate chess! The players are too good!" I tried to help him a little, but honestly it was too depressing after a while so had to delete. If chessplayers just did something else with their brains they'd do fine... well I guess if you'd been just playing chess for TOO long then it might be hard as employers would look at your 'CV'. The amount the female chess players get paid is much more than they get playing in tourns- don't know of hardly any female 'chess coaches'.