European Club Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: European Club Cup

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Ezra was really unlucky to lose that ending, Svidler was watching and it looked as if he was even winning at one point. Great technique from Malakhov it has to be said. Meanwhile team captain was still fuming about John Naylor who ran away and was found outside the hotel on a wall trying in vain to hide from the verbal battering he was to receive.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Round 2 pairings
http://euro2013.chessdom.com/results/re ... s-r2-open/

Remind me, obviously we are looking at some very strong teams competing at the top, but lower down are we looking for norm chances?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Round 2 pairings

Remind me, obviously we are looking at some very strong teams competing at the top, but lower down are we looking for norm chances?
Yes. This is one of those rare tournaments that allows you to get an n-round norm, where n<9.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:35 pm

For Jutes I'm hoping for an IM norm from Ezra and a GM norm for Hjorvar. I know he's from Iceland but when he gets the title they will pay him the equivalent of I think 3k a year for the achievement. Although they both lost in round 1 the massive ratings of their opponents may come in handy in the long run fingers crossed.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Chris Rice wrote:

For Jutes I'm hoping for an IM norm from Ezra and a GM norm for Hjorvar. I know he's from Iceland but when he gets the title they will pay him the equivalent of I think 3k a year for the achievement. Although they both lost in round 1 the massive ratings of their opponents may come in handy in the long run fingers crossed.
who are "they"?

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:46 am

Seems again like most English teams don't think it's worth the expense to send many strong players.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 am

I can't believe players who get defaulted. I mean really... people are v fond of telling me how bad at chess I am, but I always used to turn up at least 15 min early to mentally prepare.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:

who are "they"?
Icelandic Chess Federation I gather.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 am

Mark Howitt wrote:Seems again like most English teams don't think it's worth the expense to send many strong players.
We receive nothing from the ECF to subsidise our efforts. I'm paying hotel fees (78 euros a night for 8 nights), airfare from UK and Iceland to Rhodes), entry fees (300 Euros) and registration fees (55 euros pp) for 5 of the squad. For that I've managed to get 1 GM, an IM and and 2 FM's (the coach is an FM too who is getting nothing for his efforts). The Friends of Chess generously lobbed in 250 quid but as you can see its generally a spit in the ocean.

Speaking for White Rose and Barbican as well as the Jutes of Kent its not really worth bankrupting yourself when you're competing against teams sponsored by massive oil companies with unlimited funds.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Mark Howitt wrote:Seems again like most English teams don't think it's worth the expense to send many strong players.
We receive nothing from the ECF to subsidise our efforts. I'm paying hotel fees (78 euros a night for 8 nights), airfare from UK and Iceland to Rhodes), entry fees (300 Euros) and registration fees (55 euros pp) for 5 of the squad. For that I've managed to get 1 GM, an IM and and 2 FM's (the coach is an FM too who is getting nothing for his efforts). The Friends of Chess generously lobbed in 250 quid but as you can see its generally a spit in the ocean.

Speaking for White Rose and Barbican as well as the Jutes of Kent its not really worth bankrupting yourself when you're competing against teams sponsored by massive oil companies with unlimited funds.
It seems logical to concentrate on giving your norm seekers an opportunity rather than paying out to pack your team full of titled players. It is an amazing event so I hope everyone enjoys it.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 am

Well done to Chris for funding all that!

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Shirov's game is pretty brutal today.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Chris Rice wrote:

Hjorvar didn't waste much time today. His opponent's play was pretty abysmal, though, it has to be said.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Did Peter Gayson default again today or is he not there in which case presumably White Rose's board 6 should have been playing on board 5.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

John Moore wrote:Did Peter Gayson default again today or is he not there in which case presumably White Rose's board 6 should have been playing on board 5.
Unlike an English league, which would have a rule to push a default to the bottom, I'd suspect the rules for this competition require players to always be in the nominated order. White Rose only have six declared players, so a default takes place on the nominated boards. Both Barbican and Jutes have reserves.